Thunderbolt For X79 Motherboards?

Guest Gazzer96
Go to solution Solved by target39,

So there is no way to get an apple monitor to work with a X79 motherboard?

If the apple monitor has a displayport, or mini displayport, you will be able to use it with an X79 motherboard. You will just have to make sure your dedicated graphics card has a displayport and/or mini displayport. DVI may work, but you need to purchase an active adapter that has an integrated chip and plugs into the wall. The rule of thumb is, if the adapter costs less than $100, and does not plug into the wall, it's not the right adapter. Here is a video on one of the usable adapter, though I'd recommend getting a graphics card with displayport/mini displayport anyway. With the X79, you will not be able to use the camera and microphone, and other peripherals of the display though.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HonhUMx1YXI

I've not been interested in Thunderolt before, but now I have found that you can get one of these running on a PC with it: http://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/3819332405206747944?q=apple%20monitor%20thunderbolt&hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45645796,d.d2k&biw=1920&bih=955&sa=X&ei=vH55UdLNCo6wPLqCgdAJ&ved=0CGwQ8wIwAQ I now am wanting Thunderboard, but I cannot find any X79 motherboards which supports this.

Anyone know if there is any X79 motherboards which support Thunderbolt or if there are any coming in the near future?

Thunderbolt needs integrated graphics to operate ie. Socket 1155 Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge CPU's, LGA 2011 CPU's don't have integrated graphics.

i7 930 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte X58A-UD7 | Seagate ST2000DX001 SSHD 2TB | WD5000AAKX 500GB | Samsung SH-B083A Bluray Drive | Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB GV-N670OC-2GD | Corsair 12GB 1600Mhz CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 | Corsair H50 in Push Pull | SeaSonic X750 | CM 690 II Advanced | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | HP 2159M 1080p | Asus ProArt PA238Q 23" 1080p IPS Monitor | Asus VS239H IPS 1080p (Portrait) | Razer BlackWidow Expert MX Blue (2011) | Razer Lachesis 5600

There are none.  One of the protocols Thunderbolt uses is the DisplayPort protocol, and since no socket 2011 CPUs have integrated graphics, as James said it is impossible to implement on an X79 board.  This could change in the future (X99?) if Thunderbolt is integrated into the chipset but at the moment you will not find any.

If the apple monitor has a displayport, or mini displayport, you will be able to use it with an X79 motherboard. You will just have to make sure your dedicated graphics card has a displayport and/or mini displayport. DVI may work, but you need to purchase an active adapter that has an integrated chip and plugs into the wall. The rule of thumb is, if the adapter costs less than $100, and does not plug into the wall, it's not the right adapter. Here is a video on one of the usable adapter, though I'd recommend getting a graphics card with displayport/mini displayport anyway. With the X79, you will not be able to use the camera and microphone, and other peripherals of the display though.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HonhUMx1YXI