Advice for training Worlds Smartest Dog. (w/pics)

Hello friends, 

My dog and I are currently working on doubling the world record (1026 words) for most words learned by a dog. My dog is currently 9 months old and knows around 220 words. Most of these words are the names of objects, mostly stuffed animals. In addition to that he can also operate switches on command which brings us to my current project. I been working on building him a Bluetooth media controller so he can play music, skip and reverse tracks and make phone calls when given a verbal command.

So far the best way I've found to build this media controller is to hack apart a inexpensive Bluetooth speaker and solder new wires and switches onto the PCB. The reason I need to solder new switches is so I can space them apart so the dog can operate them.  I was able to solder wires to the "Phone Call" micro switch contacts and it works. However I was unable to remove the switch that is is still soldered to the PCB.

The best switches I've found for dogs are these foot pedal switches below or large arcade style push button switches (not pictured). This way it is easier for the dog to operate them with his nose or paw. For this project I built wood "toppers" with each media icon. I want to mount these on top of the new switches (pictured below).

The micro switch on the PCB has 4 contacts connecting it to the PCB.The larger switches I have have only two wires attached and since the PCB has 4 contacts for each micro switch i'm not sure how to connect two wires to 4 contacts.  

This is the Bluetooth speaker PCB that I soldered the wires to that lead to another 4 contact micro switch.

Ad9wqDul.jpg

5KLLlBEl.jpg

Example of a foot pedal switch the dog uses for turning on the TV.  I think the switch I need for this project though is a momentary DPST push button switch (can anyone confirm that?)

0GAx2jMl.jpg

Here is an example of a switch I think that might work that I found on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pcs-22mm-Plastic-Momentary-Push-Button-Switch-10A-440V-1NO1NC-DPST-RED-GREEN/292918333004?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item44334b0e4c:g:n5kAAOSw4zdcO-Fr&enc=AQAEAAAB4BPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qWaz%2FiYzfDWYiTmgyvwYmdnRlNFR9lroQfczXO9BUUO%2F4%2BNUdJl3QR3aAH8XCJ7a4SdX6JPAvMu0ZxkNocm8OfNuaywesd9W3wXlv%2BjgTQAw6GPeVPpguCtrwDbYB8Ui2dLXfI6WV%2Bm8ZZLl84vEWJqLW7xG3fJHdGGwRd0Pcegt04QeUmzAv5Hr0K%2FbYWbqswXX3MDc%2Bu3JddpOYNnyXjQEGgStuwh7YFdV1A0BlPQ4JvEra01ib%2B63ei7g0b%2BDaxQpiTlohExJ7oC482R4k0a%2FNe82r86YX00a9MhW1%2BMqz2Fe%2BLDQKTXAhmVV5vrioimnqAj3ZWkw%2FAwvoOXfMJ3rSuWGRmXKQA%2BBnX7pfrDat4ScoXVp1BjsEPgXwEM3%2BIWf77XT%2B2Tq5S28PwoGynK0jbLAj88gcAtiAVy1r7PWZKfkcmnMTBVl4YrG5hemh7K0jblpmjyxBRkRTLAhaTzfTLm1ZIaayz8IeWo9vEyFgyX5GkVQ2mcZ6KyW5jJh0aqtVTp3QmX%2BtDDfPIHQSdhqtRBXyFTdWX0IxLTiXr257tJsQMooDZDDaHDxzPZZmLBSM99JGMOKsiq10nLm4U7TYireM%2BofK5BaJbBVjVNvQ%3D%3D&checksum=292918333004ed2e4f85019842d38fdf3e3eeeb23e43

As mentioned earlier I was able to solder wires that lead to another micro switch and it worked. However I am worried that the dog could potentially break the switch because it is so small. I made wood buttons that I plan to attach on the top of each micro switch. These buttons with sit recessed in the white wood panel shown below. I used phosphorescent powder for the icons so they would glow in dark and each button is coated in a food safe poly resin.

Here are the wooden buttons I want to mount to the top of each switch. The wooden icons are spaced 3" apart.

VZoqB7Pl.jpg

D7CdsXel.jpg

This type of mini electronic work is not my expertise and I'm not sure if there is a better way to make this.I have never used a Arduino or RasberryPi but thought that might be be viable for this project?

My main questions are...

What type of switch is needed for this project? 

Does anybody see an easier way to make a media controller for a dog other than soldering new switches to a Bluetooth speaker?

If anyone has any suggestions I'd like to hear them. I don't mind starting over if it means it will be better for my pup. 

10 minutes ago, Tech4Dogs said:

The micro switch on the PCB has 4 contacts connecting it to the PCB.The larger switches I have have only two wires attached and since the PCB has 4 contacts for each micro switch i'm not sure how to connect two wires to 4 contacts.  

You don't have to connect to all 4 contacts, it's likely that those are just SPST switches but they have doubled up contacts to provide more contact points for surface mounting on the board (even if the switch on the board is a DPST then given what those switches are doing on that speaker it's just going to be wired as if it was an SPST with doubled up contacts).

It's best if you use a multimeter in continuity check mode with the speaker turned off to check between which two sides the switch closes the circuit when you press it. Once you know that, you'll know where to solder your 2 wires and you can leave the other 2 contacts alone.

For what you're trying to do you can use pretty much any type of momentary switch you find as long as you wire it correctly, since it only needs to be able to close a single circuit.

I know nothing about Arduino or RaspberryPi's, so I can't help you there.

With regards to ideas for media controllers for training your dog, I think you pretty much nailed it. A bluetooth speaker won't just give you the media control, but it'll also give you immediate feedback on whether it worked as intended. I mean sure, maybe you could make it fancier and with more bells and whistles on an Arduino or something alike, but the bluetooth speaker is probably less messing around for getting started quicker and if you ever want to expand it, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to desolder the wires and repurpose the keyboard you're making now with a more complex system, when you get around to it.

mspaint_9IPQdPxKTD.png.0b2987d23cf337ae768bc545419b8f96.png

you don't need to solder to all 4 contacts, on a micro switch 2 contacts on each side are connected(see paint image) you just have to figure out what 2 contacts to solder too. A multi meter in continuity does that.

56 minutes ago, Tech4Dogs said:

I am worried that the dog could potentially break the switch because it is so small.

There are switches designed specifically to be stood on. 

these could be built into your wood assembly

https://www.newark.com/e-switch/fs5700spmt2b2m1qe/foot-pb-sw-spdt-1a-9vdc-1-7kgf/dp/18AC1546

you can also get complete units

https://www.newark.com/linemaster/t-91-s/switch-foot-spdt-15a-250v/dp/04M4609

you can also get giant arcade buttons

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.A0.H0.TRS1&_nkw=100mm+arcade+button&_sacat=0

I should have a multimeter but I don't. I'll be going to the store today to pick one up.  Hopefully if everything goes as planned I should have this media controller functioning tonight or tomorrow. I bought multiples of the speaker I'm soldering in case I were to make a mistake.

I'm really happy that I can use the larger switches. It should be much more durable now.  

Thanks so much for the help guys!