Windows Server 2016 AD/DHCP/DNS Environment IP Issue

Go to solution Solved by Husky,

Is it a flat network or is it segmented? (i.e. VLANs, are you using VLAN tagging?)

It might also be an issue with Windows 10's "Fast Startup". Try disabling it under Power Options in the Control Panel and see if that solves the issue with that workstation.

Hey guys,

having a bit of an issue with my Windows Server 2016 AD/DHCP/DNS environment, specifically with issuing an IP address to clients and I'd like some advice or maybe someone knows a fix.

Currently, this Windows Server 2016 box runs Active Directory, DHCP and DNS requests to 17 Windows 10-based workstations and the issue comes when our users boot the systems for the first time that day and the server not issuing a valid IP but if that same user does a system reboot then the server will issue a valid IP. It first started a few weeks after this new server was installed, then only one or two systems would not be able to connect but over time it has become more and more systems, then we have to do a quick restart then it would be able to connect.

Any thoughts are most appreciated,

Thanks.

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.9 | MB: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon | RAM: Vengeance RGB @ 3200 | HDD: Samsung 960 Evo 250gb nVME M.2 | GPU: Powercolor 5700XT | CASE: Corsair Crystal X570 | PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower RGB 750W | CPU COOLING: Full Custom EKWB CPU Water Loop | OS: Windows 10 Pro

Is it a flat network or is it segmented? (i.e. VLANs, are you using VLAN tagging?)

It might also be an issue with Windows 10's "Fast Startup". Try disabling it under Power Options in the Control Panel and see if that solves the issue with that workstation.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

34 minutes ago, Husky said:

It's a flat network, no VLAN's.

That's a good point, I haven't checked the fast startup on the affected machines. Will give that a shot, thank you!

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.9 | MB: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon | RAM: Vengeance RGB @ 3200 | HDD: Samsung 960 Evo 250gb nVME M.2 | GPU: Powercolor 5700XT | CASE: Corsair Crystal X570 | PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower RGB 750W | CPU COOLING: Full Custom EKWB CPU Water Loop | OS: Windows 10 Pro

I was just about to say that. We had a couple of workstations do just that. and that was the solution for both workstations. 

On 8/3/2019 at 7:06 AM, deltaop582 said:

I was just about to say that. We had a couple of workstations do just that. and that was the solution for both workstations. 

Yeah and funny enough looks like it has fixed the issue here also. Thumbs up to Husky.