Weird lan speed behaviour

jadm

Right...  recently I set up a new PC

Unfortunately I am unable to copy data between the old and the new PC at a normal pace. Currently copying data is at about 2 MB per second. Copying data from a NAS to either machine goes at about 100 MB per second. Both PCs are running windows 10. The NAS is freenas.

suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?  

Thx

Jo

Start by checking your cables. Make sure that they read at least CAT5e. From there, check to see what kind of connectivity you are seeing on your home router, or your switch. If you are on wireless, that may be the problem depending on how far you are from the wireless connection. What you can do on your new PC checking the network performance on task manager and see the bandwidth that is being used. There are too many questions unanswered. If you can provide more details on how all this is connected that would make helping you easier.

Everything is ethernet cable: 1Gbit

-I swapped out the cable... same deal

-both ethernet connections are on the same switch ... does the router even enter into it? 

-some further testing: the new PC has the same problem with all windows machines... (tried a third machine)

-used second ethernet port on the new pc: identical problem >> software issue on the new PC? ...

>> here is a hint: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/new-pc-build-slow-internet-speeds.3464857/ ?

the new MB came with the asus bloatware / errrr software... gamefirst V.

Apparently it spontaneously throttles filetransfer traffic (even if the prio is set to "normal"... 2MB/S is far from normal...) 

The weird thing is that it doesn't seem to notice when a file transfer from a freenas machines takes the entire bandwidth.

Anyway: I'll uninstall it. good riddance.

On 7/30/2019 at 9:42 PM, jadm said:

Everything is ethernet cable: 1Gbit

-I swapped out the cable... same deal

-both ethernet connections are on the same switch ... does the router even enter into it? 

-some further testing: the new PC has the same problem with all windows machines... (tried a third machine)

-used second ethernet port on the new pc: identical problem >> software issue on the new PC? ...

>> here is a hint: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/new-pc-build-slow-internet-speeds.3464857/ ?

the new MB came with the asus bloatware / errrr software... gamefirst V.

Apparently it spontaneously throttles filetransfer traffic (even if the prio is set to "normal"... 2MB/S is far from normal...) 

The weird thing is that it doesn't seem to notice when a file transfer from a freenas machines takes the entire bandwidth.

Anyway: I'll uninstall it. good riddance.

Good spot on that.

I have been having odd speed issues ever since getting my ASUS laptop and low and behold, it has Gamefirst V installed on it.

I think it had somehow stopped triggering on LAN traffic at some point, but still would rather have it removed.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Thx... goes to show. Just installing out of the box was never good idea  but these semi smart programs can well and truly suck when they are just not smart enough.