Looking for headphone suggestions

ArcticSalad

I've been using the Sennheiser Game Zero for the last 6 years (although I've been through 2 or 3 warranty replacements) and they're now on their last leg. I'm looking for something new but I'm not sure what.

They will be used primarily for gaming but also for general computing (listening to music, videos, etc). I will also need a microphone, whether it be in the form of a headset or purchased separately - I don't know what the best option is here.

Budget is $350 CAD.

Looking for closed-back.

Thanks!

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x | COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 | MOBO: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio | STORAGE: 2x XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB, Crucial MX300 525gb, Seagate Barracuda Pro 4TB | CASE: Phanteks P400s TG White | PSU: Corsair HX750i

Laptop - Dell XPS 13 | Intel i7 7500u | Intel HD 620 Graphics | 8GB RAM | 256GB M.2 SSD

Peripherals - KEYBOARD: KBD67 Lite w/Gateron Milky Yellow Pros | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder V2 | AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 6XX, Truthear Hexa | MONITOR: Dual 1440p 27" MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD

I don't know what kind of setup you have going but, is a XLR microphone and a small mixing board an option for you? If so, you can really go wild with your choices.

Workstation/Gaming Rig - Asus Crosshair VI Hero | Ryzen 9 3900x | B | Zotac RTX 3090 | 1TB Sabrent NVMe, 2TB Seagate HDD

Home Server - Asus Strix x370 Gaming-F | Ryzen 7 1700x | 2x8GB DDR4 G.SKILL Trident Z RG | Zotac GTX 970 | PNY 120GB SATA SSD, Kingston 480GB SATA SSD 6x4TB HP MidLine HDD, Seagate 3TB HDD, Seagate 8TB HDD

1 minute ago, The Old Myron Siren said:

I don't know what kind of setup you have going but, is a XLR microphone and a small mixing board an option for you? If so, you can really go wild with your choices.

The microphone will just be used for communication purposes, so that probably isn't necessary. I would prefer something that sounds decent though.

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x | COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 | MOBO: ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio | STORAGE: 2x XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB, Crucial MX300 525gb, Seagate Barracuda Pro 4TB | CASE: Phanteks P400s TG White | PSU: Corsair HX750i

Laptop - Dell XPS 13 | Intel i7 7500u | Intel HD 620 Graphics | 8GB RAM | 256GB M.2 SSD

Peripherals - KEYBOARD: KBD67 Lite w/Gateron Milky Yellow Pros | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder V2 | AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 6XX, Truthear Hexa | MONITOR: Dual 1440p 27" MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD

The headphones I use are the DT 770 Pro 250 OHM. I do a fair amount of video and music work as well as more than my fair share of gaming and I have never had any real complaints. I've worn them for a very long time (~8-10 hours straight) and never got that pressure pain on the top of my ears like I did with my previous pair of Sennheisers. The only issue with them is you need a pretty heft amplifier to drive them properly (I use an old Kenwood KR-V8070 that also drives my speakers). I brought up the XLR microphone because you could probably pick up a small Behringer USB Mixer for ~$70 US and then plug up some heft headphones and use something like a MXL R144 as your microphone. I use that mic every day for Discord and the like and never have any real complaints from squad-mates and friends.

Workstation/Gaming Rig - Asus Crosshair VI Hero | Ryzen 9 3900x | B | Zotac RTX 3090 | 1TB Sabrent NVMe, 2TB Seagate HDD

Home Server - Asus Strix x370 Gaming-F | Ryzen 7 1700x | 2x8GB DDR4 G.SKILL Trident Z RG | Zotac GTX 970 | PNY 120GB SATA SSD, Kingston 480GB SATA SSD 6x4TB HP MidLine HDD, Seagate 3TB HDD, Seagate 8TB HDD

5 minutes ago, The Old Myron Siren said:

The headphones I use are the DT 770 Pro 250 OHM. I do a fair amount of video and music work as well as more than my fair share of gaming and I have never had any real complaints. I've worn them for a very long time (~8-10 hours straight) and never got that pressure pain on the top of my ears like I did with my previous pair of Sennheisers. The only issue with them is you need a pretty heft amplifier to drive them properly (I use an old Kenwood KR-V8070 that also drives my speakers). I brought up the XLR microphone because you could probably pick up a small Behringer USB Mixer for ~$70 US and then plug up some heft headphones and use something like a MXL R144 as your microphone. I use that mic every day for Discord and the like and never have any real complaints from squad-mates and friends.

Whoops! I think you might misunderstand me. I'm not into producing videos and music. I've edited my original post to be more clear. Sorry about that, I really do appreciate the effort you put into helping me out here though.

5 minutes ago, Shadow6767 said:

Whoops! I think you might misunderstand me. I'm not into producing videos and music. I've edited my original post to be more clear. Sorry about that, I really do appreciate the effort you put into helping me out here though.

No worries! If you're ever interested in some bigger headphones I'd still recommend these! I'll go digging around and find some more "all in one" headphones that might be better suited for ya. Are you biased towards wired or wireless or does it not matter?

16 minutes ago, The Old Myron Siren said:

No worries! If you're ever interested in some bigger headphones I'd still recommend these! I'll go digging around and find some more "all in one" headphones that might be better suited for ya. Are you biased towards wired or wireless or does it not matter?

Regarding wired or wireless, I prefer wired for the sake of less latency and not having to worry about charging it all the time.

1 minute ago, Shadow6767 said:

Regarding wired or wireless, I prefer wired for the sake of less latency and not having to worry about charging it all the time.

A small amount of googling leads me to these two:

Sennheiser GSP 600

Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Personally I would take the MMX 300s mostly because after dabbling with both brands, I just love the feel and sound of Beyerdynamics. How well this translates between models I don't know, but I know the comfort of the DT 770 Pros are amazing and MMX 300 looks to be very similar. Theyre have roughly the same impedance (28Ω vs 32Ω respectively) and the GSP 600 will probably get a tad bit louder at 112db against the 96db of the MMX 300. The GSP 600 has a lower frequency response range of 10-30KHz compared to the 5-35KHz, although that's not really a huge deal. You could get an external amplifier as well if you get the GSP 600, though, which might make an impact on how the perform. However, they may already be tuned and already be at their best getting powered just from your PC.

4 hours ago, The Old Myron Siren said:

A small amount of googling leads me to these two:

Sennheiser GSP 600

Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Personally I would take the MMX 300s mostly because after dabbling with both brands, I just love the feel and sound of Beyerdynamics. How well this translates between models I don't know, but I know the comfort of the DT 770 Pros are amazing and MMX 300 looks to be very similar. Theyre have roughly the same impedance (28Ω vs 32Ω respectively) and the GSP 600 will probably get a tad bit louder at 112db against the 96db of the MMX 300. The GSP 600 has a lower frequency response range of 10-30KHz compared to the 5-35KHz, although that's not really a huge deal. You could get an external amplifier as well if you get the GSP 600, though, which might make an impact on how the perform. However, they may already be tuned and already be at their best getting powered just from your PC. 

I've done some pretty extensive research on those two, and they both seem like pretty solid picks and I will definitely keep them in mind. The MMX 300 is out of my budget though, and it sounds like the GSP 600 is a bit on the bulky side and the sound quality isn't quite worth the price.

Here's an interesting idea I came across on the forums here. What do you think of picking up the DT 770 Pros along with a ModMic 5?

Thanks again for the help!

2 minutes ago, Shadow6767 said:

I've done some pretty extensive research on those two, and they both seem like pretty solid picks and I will definitely keep them in mind. The MMX 300 is out of my budget though, and it sounds like the GSP 600 is a bit on the bulky side and the sound quality isn't quite worth the price.

Here's an interesting idea I came across on the forums here. What do you think of picking up the DT 770 Pros along with a ModMic 5?

Those are great options . Go either the 32 ohm or the 80 ohm if you don't have an amp

1 minute ago, Shadow6767 said:

I actually took a look at the DT 770 Pros with a ModMic 5 on it, and that might be a really good bet for you, however I will say that the mids on the headphones aren't crazy so for FPS games they wont sound hyper immersive. They do excel at music and movies where the lows need to be full and the highs need to crisp Additionally, like @rice guru mentioned, you should definitely get the 32Ω or 80Ω versions of the DT 770 Pros if you're not planning on connecting them to an amplifier.

2 minutes ago, The Old Myron Siren said:

I actually took a look at the DT 770 Pros with a ModMic 5 on it, and that might be a really good bet for you, however I will say that the mids on the headphones aren't crazy so for FPS games they wont sound hyper immersive. They do excel at music and movies where the lows need to be full and the highs need to crisp Additionally, like @rice guru mentioned, you should definitely get the 32Ω or 80Ω versions of the DT 770 Pros if you're not planning on connecting them to an amplifier.

i find the mids to not be super important more than the highs which the 770's really do well at. the only issue sound wise I have with the 770 for gaming is the fact that they do have a lot of bass but for the most part not really an issue especially if you take into account their rather impressive soundstage for an closed back and great imagin most beyers tend to have.