Xbox One X sound and PC sound through one headset connected to PC.

Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,
18 minutes ago, GR412 said:

That actually works without the static. It would be good as a temporary solution, but would I need to buy an external DAC or something to have a more seamless solution? Or could I somehow get a S/PDIF to 3.5mm aux converter and plug that in from my Xbox console to the blue port on my PC motherboard? It does seem to be the monitor that causes the static. 

Yes you should be able to get a TOSLINK to 3.5mm or an HDMI to 3.5mm adapter.  (probably easier to use the former, HDMI handshake issues can be a pain)

I would like to get the sound from my Xbox to play through my stereo headset (Sennheiser HD 558) that's plugged into my PC, so i can use discord with my Blue Yeti Mic and use my PC at the same time as playing my Xbox. 

This is the procedure I've tried so far:

• Plugged my Xbox One X to my PC monitor (AORUS AD27QD) via a HDMI 2.0 cable, this works fine for video, but there is no sound. 
  • Next I plug a 3.5mm audio cable from my monitors output port (black on my monitor) into my PC motherboards (ASUS Prime X370-PRO) pink audio in port.
  • Then on Windows 10, I go to sound settings -> sound control panel -> Recording tab -> Right click properties on the High Definition Audio Microphone option ->  Listen tab -> Tick the listen to device box.

As soon as I do this i hear static coming through my headset (Sennheiser HD 558) which I normally wouldn't when using my PC. However I can hear sound coming through my Xbox and PC through my headset plugged into my PC.

Although I get the desired result, the static is an unwelcome side affect.

Some people have suggested streaming the Xbox One X to the Windows 10 Xbox App, but I've heard there is a delay which i wouldn't like. 

Does anybody know why i might be getting static through my headset? Could it be the sound card in my motherboard? Might I have to try a different approach with different equipment? Any help will be appreciated.

Many Thanks. 

I believe blue is usually the line-in, you will likely get distortion using the pink mic port unless its set using jack tasking to a line-in port.  I'm not sure if this is the source of your static.

Sadly there is also a strong possibility that the crappy monitor DAC is causing the static.  I can't remember, does the Xbox One let you output game audio out of the controllers headset port?  That may me another thing to try if it does. (although its likely to be of lower quality)

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

If all else fails, try using xbox's streaming feature with ethernet.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Can you 3.5mm directly from the Xbox to PC?

I dont think any of the xboxes have 3.5mm audio outputs.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

No, you'd have to use TOSLINK and buy a likely expensive PC sound card that has TOSLINK input. (its not exactly common and cheap units suck)

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

6 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Unfortunately the Xbox only has a S/PDIF audio port.  

14 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I believe blue is usually the line-in, you will likely get distortion using the pink mic port unless its set using jack tasking to a line-in port.  I'm not sure if this is the source of your static.

Sadly there is also a strong possibility that the crappy monitor DAC is causing the static.  I can't remember, does the Xbox One let you output game audio out of the controllers headset port?  That may me another thing to try if it does. (although its likely to be of lower quality)

I tried using the blue line in port on my motherboard and i get the same result as using the pink port. I get Xbox sound working on my PC but there's the same static. And you can plug the headset into the Xbox controller to get sound but i imagine it would only play the Xbox sound and not the PC sound. 

There are HDMI adapters that include analog audio outputs though.

1 minute ago, GR412 said:

I tried using the blue line in port on my motherboard and i get the same result as using the pink port. I get Xbox sound working on my PC but there's the same static. And you can plug the headset into the Xbox controller to get sound but i imagine it would only play the Xbox sound and not the PC sound. 

Cumbersome, but I was thinking plug the Xbox controller output into the blue port on the PC.

Just now, huilun02 said:

S/PDIF can be in the form of toslink or RCA

And RCA can be cheaply converted to 3.5mm with a dumb adapter

The Xbox has TOSLINK, but I'm sure they exist too.  I even have a TOSLINK to Coax adapter myself that I used to use to solve having too few TOSLINK inputs on my surround receiver.

6 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Cumbersome, but I was thinking plug the Xbox controller output into the blue port on the PC.

That actually works without the static. It would be good as a temporary solution, but would I need to buy an external DAC or something to have a more seamless solution? Or could I somehow get a S/PDIF to 3.5mm aux converter and plug that in from my Xbox console to the blue port on my PC motherboard? It does seem to be the monitor that causes the static. 

18 minutes ago, GR412 said:

Yes you should be able to get a TOSLINK to 3.5mm or an HDMI to 3.5mm adapter.  (probably easier to use the former, HDMI handshake issues can be a pain)

15 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I looked on amazon for one, and they do have some cables that are TOSLINK on one end and 3.5mm on the other but none of them are anywhere long enough. My Xbox and PC are about 7 meters apart. Most of the other results were external DAC's like this. But i'll be honest i have no idea what DAC's are even for or if this would even work for what i need.