Possible to Boot Straight To Application?

The Old Myron Siren

I've been working on a emulation machine for the last couple of months that will be inside of an arcade cabinet. I'm using Windows 10 and Big Box (Launch Box) as the front-end for the machine and currently have it launch as soon as the local user logs in. However, what I am looking to achieve is to have the computer boot from a black screen into the Big Box application. I have somewhat achieved this by first, running a VBScript that terminites the explorer.exe process, leaving me with just a black desktop before it then launches Big Box, which is almost perfect. The problem is, there's about a half a second or so where I can see the black desktop with the recycle bin icon and taskbar down at the bottom. Additionally, I would like to bypass the login screen entirely. I currently have setup to automatically login so I never have to enter a username or password, but again, my ultimate goal is to have the machine boot up from nothing straight into Big Box.

Is this even achievable in Windows 10? I've done a few RetroPies before and it essentially does exactly this, however, I know that Linux is a different animal when it comes to what you can do compared to Windows. Thank in advance guys!

Workstation/Gaming Rig - Asus Crosshair VI Hero | Ryzen 9 3900x | B | Zotac RTX 3090 | 1TB Sabrent NVMe, 2TB Seagate HDD

Home Server - Asus Strix x370 Gaming-F | Ryzen 7 1700x | 2x8GB DDR4 G.SKILL Trident Z RG | Zotac GTX 970 | PNY 120GB SATA SSD, Kingston 480GB SATA SSD 6x4TB HP MidLine HDD, Seagate 3TB HDD, Seagate 8TB HDD

2 minutes ago, barondeau said:

You can use startup

I already have a startup command that open up Big Box on login. What I want to do is to skip the login screen entirely and have my desktop already be entirely blank so I never see anything other than Big Box.

Workstation/Gaming Rig - Asus Crosshair VI Hero | Ryzen 9 3900x | B | Zotac RTX 3090 | 1TB Sabrent NVMe, 2TB Seagate HDD

Home Server - Asus Strix x370 Gaming-F | Ryzen 7 1700x | 2x8GB DDR4 G.SKILL Trident Z RG | Zotac GTX 970 | PNY 120GB SATA SSD, Kingston 480GB SATA SSD 6x4TB HP MidLine HDD, Seagate 3TB HDD, Seagate 8TB HDD

Sounds like you want the Assigned Access feature of Windows 10.  It's one of the more underrated new features of Windows 10 -- the ability to run in "kiosk" mode for digital signage, single applications without Explorer, or even multiple applications with a locked-down Start menu.  More info here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/kiosk-methods

Combine that with the Automatic logon feature of Windows 10:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/324737/how-to-turn-on-automatic-logon-in-windows

and you should be able to accomplish what you're setting out to do

7 minutes ago, warrenr said:

Sounds like you want the Assigned Access feature of Windows 10.  It's one of the more underrated new features of Windows 10 -- the ability to run in "kiosk" mode for digital signage, single applications without Explorer, or even multiple applications with a locked-down Start menu.  More info here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/324737/how-to-turn-on-automatic-logon-in-windows

I like the sound of the Kiosk method, I'll give that a try in a little bit and report back. I did already do the registry edit that you mentioned, however, I still see it show my username on logon and the "Signing in..." message. Should that registry edit remove that and I did something wrong, or am I stuck out of luck on that front?

50 minutes ago, warrenr said:

Just as an added question, would I still be able to launch the various emulation softwares that I would be using as well while within Kiosk mode?

Totally did this for AS400 access machines at my first job. I pointed the registry to point at classic shell instead of explorer. This ended up loading a black screen.Then you will need to reg an auto log in. This stores a username and password in the registry to automatically log in. Then just set your emulation software to load at log on with task scheduler. 

3 hours ago, soulreaper11207 said:

Totally did this for AS400 access machines at my first job. I pointed the registry to point at classic shell instead of explorer. This ended up loading a black screen.Then you will need to reg an auto log in. This stores a username and password in the registry to automatically log in. Then just set your emulation software to load at log on with task scheduler. 

As far as I know, I've done the register an auto login in the registry. I don't ever have to enter a username or password to login, but I still see the starting screen where it shows my username and the "Signing in..." message below. Is there any way to bypass the screen, or did I not do the reg editing correctly? 

Additionally, could you explain what you did to prevent explorer from launching?