3900x Temperatures.

Does anyone have temp results for a 3900x using a NH-U12A or similar heatsink? I am debating whether or not to upgrade because my current temps in my ITX case can get very toasty.

Have you tried the stock cooler yet?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Luna said:

Have you tried the stock cooler yet?

Well I don’t actually have a 3900x. I’m just asking so a I can decide if I want to get one.

1 minute ago, ApplesOfEpicness said:

Well I don’t actually have a 3900x. I’m just asking so a I can decide if I want to get one.

Stock cooler is probably all you need.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Luna said:

Stock cooler is probably all you need.

That may be true, but I’d still like to know what I can expect if I stick to the U12A.

Just now, ApplesOfEpicness said:

That may be true, but I’d still like to know what I can expect if I stick to the U12A.

The same as the stock cooler.

Personal Desktop":

Just now, Princess Luna said:

The same as the stock cooler.

That’s not helpful. What are the clocks, test environment, etc. There aren’t many user experiences posted yet so I’m having a hard time finding temperatures for even the stock cooler. I’ve never owned an AMD processor before so I don’t exactly know what to expect from the stock cooler.

1 minute ago, ApplesOfEpicness said:

I'm sorry, I was having lunch and using the phone :3

Here, this video has all the information you need, the stock cooler on the 3900X is by all means appropriated and you'll get diminishing returns by spending a lot more on aftermarket solutions:

Personal Desktop":

2 minutes ago, ApplesOfEpicness said:

That’s not helpful. What are the clocks, test environment, etc. There aren’t many user experiences posted yet so I’m having a hard time finding temperatures for even the stock cooler. I’ve never owned an AMD processor before so I don’t exactly know what to expect from the stock cooler.

I was using a 3700x with an h80i V2 (a li title worse than a 240mm aio) and my idle temps were generally around 60c, gaming was around 75-80c depending on the game, and ida 64 would get it up to 90-95c. the new chips run hot, but the noctua cooler should be better than my setup since i built it in the evolv shift ITX case.

Just now, Sorenson said:

I was using a 3700x with an h80i V2 (a li title worse than a 240mm aio) and my idle temps were generally around 60c, gaming was around 75-80c depending on the game, and ida 64 would get it up to 90-95c. the new chips run hot, but the noctua cooler should be better than my setup since i built it in the evolv shift ITX case.

also optimum tech and bitwit built SFF pcs with a 2900x and saw similar temps. I ended up going with an i7 9700k.

2 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

Something was seriously wrong with your mounting or cooler. 60 idle is absurd on any modern CPU.

6 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Something was seriously wrong with your mounting or cooler. 60 idle is absurd on any modern CPU.

nope, repasted several times, exchanged for a different 3700x, and tried undervolting through ryzen master. that’s just how ryzen 3000 is. it runs at a higher temperature, but it’s fine since you can’t really OC it much as long as you’re not in an SFF case.

Just now, Sorenson said:

nope, reposted several times, exchanged for a different 3700x, and tried undervolting through ryzen master. that’s just how ryzen 3000 is. it runs at a higher temperature, but it’s fine since you can’t really OC it much as long as you’re not in an SFF case.

No, I am certain the cooler is the issue. An AIO should never perform worse than a wraith spire. Your temps were beyond absurd. My guess is lack of proper mounting or gunk in the fluid/rad. 

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

No, I am certain the cooler is the issue. An AIO should never perform worse than a wraith spire. Your temps were beyond absurd. My guess is lack of proper mounting or gunk in the fluid/rad. 

jump to 4:29. i also tried the stock cooler and it was pretty similar results.

9 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

I did some more research and it looks like it might be a bug for the idle temperatures. But if thermals are a big concern I would wait a little while to see if the issues are resolved. The load temperatures should be the same though from what I understand.

90*C is not possible even with the stock cooler, let alone a properly installed Aftermarket one.

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

90*C is not possible even with the stock cooler, let alone a properly installed Aftermarket one.

the noctua cooler is a much better cooler than the stock one. but i will take those numbers, almost certainly run on an open air test bench in a room that is probably heavily air conditioned and completely throw out my experience. The cpu cooler must be busted, my 9700k runs at 30c idle on it and 65-70c under load. or is it possible that I know what i’m doing and that is what i experienced, as did Optimum Tech and Bitwit. Also i mentioned to OP earlier that the noctua fan should be fine since it is better than my cooling setup. He asked about temps on the ryzen 3000 and i told him what i personally experienced. 

Those temps sound way off to me. 60c at idle and 90 something with a full load? Something sounds wrong to me. Either something is wrong with the cooler or there is no airfolow in that case and the rad is getting choked, or the fans are not spinning correctly. That thing must be loud as hell because the fans should be spinning at full speed all the time trying to keep it cool.

I have a 3600 which from what I can tell tends to run warmer than the 3700 and mine is no where near that high. With a cheap deepcool air cooler I was seeing less than 40c at idle and a max of maybe 75 under a full load. With my H100i aio I get around 35c at idle and 70c under a full load. I didn't see 90c temps until I overclocked the shit out of it to unsafe voltages and was pulling close to 120 watts. And that was with an ambient temprature of 97 F and 56 percent humidity in the room. As I am writing this with firefox and 3 tabs open I am getting between 30-36c with a 4.2 all core overclock. And I have my rad on the top as an exhaust. It was actually a little better in the front being used as an intake, but it made my video card run warmer so I switched it. My video card is my most expensive part, I want to last lol. Granted, I have an ATX case not something really little, but even in a small case I dont' think you should be idling at 60c with a water cooler. I would run it as an open test bench before I would put up with those temps.