RX 5700 Driver Issues

crippchip

I had just gotten the RX 5700 and was reading up on the driver issues associated with it. Everybody was mentioning fan curves and high temps (and crashing when tweaking fan curves). I spent hours last night researching everything I could regarding an error message I received, "Your video card does not support alpha blending with floating point render targets(D3DFMT_A16B16G16R16F)."

A lot of people were mentioning Directx 3D acceleration and going into diagx (or whatever it is). The only solution I have found -- and hopefully it works for you as well -- is Run -> Control -> Programs and Applications -> Programs -> AMD settings and completely uninstall 19.7.2. Some people have mentioned using the disk drivers instead of downloading straight from AMD's "Driver and Support." I recommend downloading from the website; HOWEVER, do NOT, NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT, download the auto-installer. There's apparently a bug in the auto installer that disrupts the DirectX drivers and causes plenty of issues within Steam and "opens" apps then immediately closes them.

If you download the actual software and 19.7.2 and use the "custom install" choice, there will show a download part of 19.7.2 that mentions DirectX drivers.

Once I uninstalled all of AMD software and re-downloaded JUST the 19.7.2, my computer works like a champ. I was able to tweak fan curves with no issue at all. I will attempt to Undervolt the GPU tonight, as many others have mentioned it helps with temps, but I think I should be plenty fine.

Hope this helps, guys. Save yourself 4 hours of dummy research and just try this first and foremost!

Nice findings!

I'm about to get RX 5700XT. This one is useful information. Thanks for sharing..

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15

18 minutes ago, PotatoCanDo! said:

Nice findings!

I'm about to get RX 5700XT. This one is useful information. Thanks for sharing..

Thanks! I see a lot of people are having tons if problems with the new RX 5700. I assume it's the same problems with the XT, but I can't be sure since I don't have one. Doesn't hurt to check and see, though! And if you find anything else you may think has fixed or helped with the XT, post a thread for fellow 5700 buyers and pay it forward :)