Replacement PSU for my 1999 PC.

Ashleyyyy

so i have a little project pc that has had the psu fail, and i need recommendations on what to buy to replace it, but i don't know what wattage to get etc. i threw away the old psu a long time ago so i can't reference it. 

it's standard ATX 20-pin as far as i can see. 

it's a mix of late 90's and early 2000's parts. 

Pentium 3 500mhz

GeForce 6200 AGP

784mb of ram iirc

sound card

USB 2.0 card

SATA card (soon, planned upgrade)

4 hdd's, maybe a few ssd's if i can boot using the sata card. 

2 optical drives and 2 floppy drives. 

can anyone reccomend me a psu? i need a lot of molex connectors so that's important. 

She/Her

Are you sure that this system uses an ATX power supply?  Some systems of that era used AT power supplies which will be much harder to source these days

Really you can use any modern power supply just make sure you get SATA to molex adapters they are cheap;

24 minutes ago, Djinnux said:

Are you sure that this system uses an ATX power supply?  Some systems of that era used AT power supplies which will be much harder to source these days

it has a 20-pin.. i also have a machine from 1997 with a weird single row connector so that's obviously different, but that psu still works. 

She/Her

10 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

i mean... if my thoughts are right and a modern PSU would do, then a cx450 would be a valid option (4 molex)

Depending on how many Molex connections are needed, a CXM model might fare better, just run extra Molex cables instead of SATA-to-Molex adapters.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/

4 minutes ago, Corsair Nick said:

Depending on how many Molex connections are needed, a CXM model might fare better, just run extra Molex cables instead of SATA-to-Molex adapters.

interesting. do i need to purchase more molex cables seperately? i need 6 molex connectors and 2 floppy drive connectors (i have a few molex to floppy adaptors so those aren't an issue, but that would add 2 more molex as a requirement). 

also would i be ok in terms of wattage?

Edited by Twilight

She/Her

41 minutes ago, Corsair Nick said:

it's more that i actually was looking at Dutch pricing, and cx450 came out cheap (and is electrically better)

but yeah, to topic, you need either type 3 or type 4 corsair cables for the cxm (and most other corsairs)