Please help me stop my gpu fans from throttling

Jared O

it makes zero sense why they keep going up to 100% speed for a few seconds.........then back down to 80%.............over.....and over.......during any game, because my temps aren't even -near- the max I set it to start doing that at 88C, yet it does this BS even in the 70's.

no matter what I have tried so far, nothing works. I even tried to /force/ a manual fan curve in msi afterburner to /only/ go up to 80% fan speed even at 90c.

zilch.

Does something sound faulty, or is there any other way to FORCE the fans never to reach 100%?

(Even under maximum load on this 2080 ti, the temp never goes over 80c with the decent airflow that I have in this cube case that has five fans, so that's why I will feel comfortable doing so)

I would leave fan curve on auto, doesn’t kick in till 60ish celsius anyway (on some models )

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

1 minute ago, Stormseeker9 said:

I would leave fan curve on auto, doesn’t kick in till 60ish celsius anyway (on some models )

it did this even on auto though which is why I tried to actually monkey with it this time

is there anything that I can do?

I just don't understand why it's throttling so bad even though I have it set to only go up to 100% at a certain temperature, when I'm never reaching even near what it's set to in order to ramp up to 100%. It's extremely frustrating and making me think something in my PC is legitimately faulty

Do you have Afterburner set to use the custom profile?

Probably depends on the skin you're using, but for mine, I need a blue box around the fan speed control for it to use the custom profile. (Switch it on/off by clicking the gear immediately to the left of the slider).

image.png.c16f2dd72876751b5c08036a7d35fe33.png

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

13 minutes ago, Jared O said:

it makes zero sense why they keep going up to 100% speed for a few seconds.........then back down to 80%.............over.....and over.......during any game, because my temps aren't even -near- the max I set it to start doing that at 88C, yet it does this BS even in the 70's.

no matter what I have tried so far, nothing works. I even tried to /force/ a manual fan curve in msi afterburner to /only/ go up to 80% fan speed even at 90c.

zilch.

Does something sound faulty, or is there any other way to FORCE the fans never to reach 100%?

(Even under maximum load on this 2080 ti, the temp never goes over 80c with the decent airflow that I have in this cube case that has five fans, so that's why I will feel comfortable doing so)

what sort of 2080ti is it and how far away is it from where you are (my 2070 gaming z is around 1 meter away and i cannot hear it even when the fans are set to this curve)

image.png.586849ddfcebb27dacf73dd290b4c265.png

2 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Probably depends on the skin you're using, but for mine, I need a blue box around the fan speed control for it to use the custom profile. (Switch it on/off by clicking the gear immediately to the left of the slider).

oh wow, I think you may be right. Yeah, I had to click the gear in order to get that box around the option. I'll go test it out real quick, and will be very surprised and happy if something this minuscule could fix what has been such a major problem for me, haha

1 minute ago, WickedStarfish said:

what sort of 2080ti is it and how far away is it from where you are (my 2070 gaming z is around 1 meter away and i cannot hear it even when the fans are set to this curve)

image.png.586849ddfcebb27dacf73dd290b4c265.png

it's what I believe to be the very cheapest 2080 ti that you can possibly buy, being just the normal evga black. it being so cheap compared to all other models might be the cause of it being extremely loud at 100%, because I'm at least six feet away and it sounds like a hair dryer

at 80% it's dead silent, but I will never want to hear it at 100%, especially when my temps are completely fine without it being that high

1 minute ago, Jared O said:

it's what I believe to be the very cheapest 2080 ti that you can possibly buy, being just the normal evga black. it being so cheap compared to all other models might be the cause of it being extremely loud at 100%, because I'm at least six feet away and it sounds like a hair dryer

dont mean to come off rude or anything, just trying to understand, as if it was me buying a 2080ti, i dont think i would go for anything that is cheap. as it is a lot of money to drop on a gpu, and is the reason i went for a high end 2070 rather than a low end 2080

1 minute ago, Jared O said:

at 80% it's dead silent, but I will never want to hear it at 100%, especially when my temps are completely fine without it being that high

its still a good idea to set it to 100% in the last 15ish degrees before thermal throttle as you dont want the card to burn out as that will be a lot worse than a hairdryer's volume

1 minute ago, WickedStarfish said:

its still a good idea to set it to 100% in the last 15ish degrees before thermal throttle as you dont want the card to burn out as that will be a lot worse than a hairdryer's volume

true, but it was actually a mistake that I bought this gpu. I purchased this PC pre-built and the photo on the website's option showed that it was a Founder's card, as well as saying that I was getting $100 off on it with a sale they were running so I just assumed I was lucky. I totally had the true card in mind, but even then, I only had enough for this PC down to the dollar because of $80 shipping on top of $200 in tax because the PC alone was $3,300 before anything

13 minutes ago, Jared O said:

oh wow, I think you may be right. Yeah, I had to click the gear in order to get that box around the option. I'll go test it out real quick, and will be very surprised and happy if something this minuscule could fix what has been such a major problem for me, haha

didn't work. Now I'm really frustrated, lol

it's still going up to 100% even at 75c

2 minutes ago, Jared O said:

true, but it was actually a mistake that I bought this gpu. I purchased this PC pre-built and the photo on the website's option showed that it was a Founder's card, as well as saying that I was getting $100 off on it with a sale they were running so I just assumed I was lucky. I totally had the true card in mind, but even then, I only had enough for this PC down to the dollar because of $80 shipping on top of $200 in tax because the PC alone was $3,300 before anything

did you price compare against building it yourself?

2 minutes ago, Jared O said:

didn't work. Now I'm really frustrated, lol

Did you restart the computer after changing the fan curve to a custom profile as sometimes the computer might need a restart to talk to all of the physical parts

2 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

Did you restart the computer after changing the fan curve to a custom profile as sometimes the computer might need a restart to talk to all of the physical parts

oh yeah, definitely price compared. It was only a few hundred more to have them do it all for me because I got nearly the most expensive parts that you can possibly get to begin with, i9 9900k + 4266 gkill ram, rgb lights strewn even within my wires themselves, etc, and with how ridiculously complicated this case is with all of my components, on top of the fact that I've never built a pc in my life, that few hundred was worth saving the hours upon hours I would have to spend on it + youtube videos if I ever ran into any problems

I haven't restarted yet, but I will be back with the results

18 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

it's still doing it, even with a restart

50 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

40 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

dont mean to come off rude or anything, just trying to understand, as if it was me buying a 2080ti, i dont think i would go for anything that is cheap. as it is a lot of money to drop on a gpu, and is the reason i went for a high end 2070 rather than a low end 2080

I figured it out. Through trial and error, my final idea was to see if it's because of the overclock that I had on the thing due to the fact that this didn't ever happen for the first entire couple of months that I had the PC, and voilà, the problem is completely gone after removing it and I now have a silent gpu once again. I can even keep the 1250 MHz overclock on the memory - it was just the core clock causing issues, but that overclock was pointless anyways because it automatically lowered to the maximum of around 1850 under load that I'm seeing now regardless. Thanks for trying to help everyone.

47 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

I was starting to hate this card lmao, but at least now we know that even this one specifically is actually great if you know how to use them. I'm just new to the whole PC scene

34 minutes ago, Jared O said:

I was starting to hate this card lmao, but at least now we know that even this one specifically is actually great if you know how to use them. I'm just new to the whole PC scene

i'm glad you found the problem, and sure im on my second build but i still consider myself as well new to the pc scene :) 

7 hours ago, WickedStarfish said:

i'm glad you found the problem, and sure im on my second build but i still consider myself as well new to the pc scene :) 

make that +1200 MHz for it not to happen anymore since it actually started to happen again at +1250 on the memory, but at least I only had to go down 50

and yeah, it's always amazing when you finally figure out how to fix something permanently. for example, it took me months to figure out how to get my ram stable at 4133, up from being stuck at 3600 on this expensive af kit, and I even have decent timings by being able to go down to CL 18 on a 19 rated kit - possibly even 17 but I just want to be safe. for the longest time I didn't think /lowering/ the voltage down from 1.5 to 1.45 would actually fix the bsod problems, especially when it worked on a much lower speed at 3600 with 1.5 volts, and everyone online says 1.5 is safe. trial and error, trial and error.

I had no idea it would be this much work figuring things out, but hey at least now for good I know crap tons more about how to get a pc set up

• 8 months later...
On 7/21/2019 at 5:02 AM, WickedStarfish said:

make that....there is no fix* lmao. It started up again shortly after that reply. Buuut - forcing the fans to 100% during AAA titles at all times is quieter than the fans doing it on their own for some reason, and it’s not too bad in that regard, so whatever

I’m sure the founders edition would have the same problem anyways as I’ve seen quite a few people saying the fans are loud on that card too