Question about hot laptop and the Laptop Internal CPU/GPU Fan

Skystrike7

My laptop: MSI GS63VR 6RF Stealth Pro, has a i7 - 6700 HQ, GTX1060, and is in an aluminum case. It's also pretty thin, and heavy if that helps visualize what I'm dealing with here.  

I don't know when I noticed this, but my laptop just runs really, really hot when I'm gaming (mostly like CSGO on high/max settings). I bought a cheap laptop cooling pad, not sure how much it helps since the laptop is still just super hot (95 C is pretty common to see for extended periods of a couple hours at a time of gaming). I did a bit of dust cleaning, and it didn't help at all. I found you can adjust the fan speed via the MSI dragon center, and found that if I just manually set the fans to run at max or 120% speed the entire time, it keeps temps comfortably below 75 even after gaming for a while. I did some more internet research, and they say the downsides to this are, if you don't care about noise, you will at least wear down your fan a lot faster and they said it was not replaceable?  

My question is, can you replace or fix or add extra lubrication to the bearings of an internal CPU/GPU fan so that I don't have to worry about keeping the fans way up?

no, those fans come sealed, when they wear out, they wear out, usually those fans are good for 4 or 5 years

the temperatures you mention and the noise, is abit high but not out of the ordinary

the cooling pad doesnt harm but usially doesnt help much really, what a laptop needs is to have a way to pull cold air from the bottom and push it out in the back of the laptop or in the sides, depends on the laptop design

if it is old, the thermal paste on the heatsink might have solidified or the heatsinks and fan might be full of dust and fluff making the fans and heatsink perform this way

but some laptops are hot, noisy and expensive, that is why gaming laptops are not a good idea

1 hour ago, goto10 said:

no, those fans come sealed, when they wear out, they wear out, usually those fans are good for 4 or 5 years

Are you saying that the gaming laptop itself will only be good for 4-5 years then, if the fans are not replaceable?

8 hours ago, Skystrike7 said:

Are you saying that the gaming laptop itself will only be good for 4-5 years then, if the fans are not replaceable?

i said that the fans come sealed so you cant clean them internally or add lubricant, that was your question

i said they wear out, you dont fix them, when they die, you buy new fans, sometimes are sold together with the heatsink, if not you just buy the fans as replacement parts and thats it

to be honest, with those specs you will not see that laptop for 5 years, it will become close to obsolete in 2 or 3 because it has a laptop gtx1060 and that is a big limitation for the future depending on the games you plan to play in it

On 7/20/2019 at 8:15 AM, goto10 said:

i said that the fans come sealed so you cant clean them internally or add lubricant, that was your question

i said they wear out, you dont fix them, when they die, you buy new fans, sometimes are sold together with the heatsink, if not you just buy the fans as replacement parts and thats it

to be honest, with those specs you will not see that laptop for 5 years, it will become close to obsolete in 2 or 3 because it has a laptop gtx1060 and that is a big limitation for the future depending on the games you plan to play in it

Oh ok. I will not be using the laptop for new AAA titles, I don't foresee playing anything much harder on it than I do now. Lighter VR games might be the heaviest load on the GPU, I don't know.    

Obsolecense aside, the system should last a while as long as I replace the fans as needed, correct? I was starting to get worried the CPU fan would die and the laptop would become an expensive brick lol

8 hours ago, Skystrike7 said:

Oh ok. I will not be using the laptop for new AAA titles, I don't foresee playing anything much harder on it than I do now. Lighter VR games might be the heaviest load on the GPU, I don't know.    

Obsolecense aside, the system should last a while as long as I replace the fans as needed, correct? I was starting to get worried the CPU fan would die and the laptop would become an expensive brick lol

no, you came with the replace or repair idea

it has not happened yet, it might never happen, i have here a laptop in working condition since 2007, the fan is just fine

dont count the time until the fan dies, it has not happened yet, no one said it has to die, fans these days can last for decades or more

only when they become too dusty to spin and overheat those fans can die really, and that takes years