BOINC overheats video card?

Hi everyone,

My PC locks up every time I attempt to run SETI@home, due to my video card (RX570) overheating. I haven't tried any other projects, but I assume the result would be the same. I've also tried lowering resource usage to 50% but it just gets hotter and hotter until it inevitably crashes. I've had no other issues with it overheating, even during heavy gaming. I've also ran stress tests and never has it crashed.

Ryzen 5 2400g

8 gb DDR4 dual channel RAM

Gigabyte RX570 4gb

240gb SSD

1 TB HDD

evga 550W PS

Vivo 'smart' case w/ 2 input, 1 output fan

7 minutes ago, steelo said:

Hi everyone,

My PC locks up every time I attempt to run SETI@home, due to my video card (RX570) overheating. I haven't tried any other projects, but I assume the result would be the same. I've also tried lowering resource usage to 50% but it just gets hotter and hotter until it inevitably crashes. I've had no other issues with it overheating, even during heavy gaming. I've also ran stress tests and never has it crashed.

Ryzen 5 2400g

8 gb DDR4 dual channel RAM

Gigabyte RX570 4gb

240gb SSD

1 TB HDD

evga 550W PS

Vivo 'smart' case w/ 2 input, 1 output fan

Can you undervolt it?  I've only ever run SETI on Nvidia cards, but they never crashed from overheating.  

24 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Can you undervolt it?  I've only ever run SETI on Nvidia cards, but they never crashed from overheating.  

I've tried undervolting it, but then it's unstable with everything else... =(

32 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Can you increase the fan speed?

I can try increasing it a bit. The fan curve is already pretty aggressive though

On 7/20/2019 at 3:15 AM, RollinLower said:

did you overclock it?

I have a profile set up in Wattman, but it was running at stock speeds with BOINC.

How hot is the card getting, as well as other system components while running the program (if you need a temperature monitor, Speedfan is free and usually works)?  Are the fans low speed only, or can they be turned up to higher speeds to exhaust more heat?

The two fans we provided for the front are generally good enough for most low to moderate power gaming PCs, but may not be enough for when things are being pushed to the extreme.

1 hour ago, VIVO-US said:

How hot is the card getting, as well as other system components while running the program (if you need a temperature monitor, Speedfan is free and usually works)?  Are the fans low speed only, or can they be turned up to higher speeds to exhaust more heat?

The two fans we provided for the front are generally good enough for most low to moderate power gaming PCs, but may not be enough for when things are being pushed to the extreme.

Hi,

My GPU is getting very close to 90C, that seems to be when everything crashes. CPU is getting in the high 70's, but I think it's still in a safe range. I've tried removing the top mesh 'filter' that sits on top of my PC case and surprisingly, it cut almost 5 degrees off of my GPU temps. No crashes today and it's staying around 84-85C but I'll have to do further testing to see.

In that case, I might try swapping one of the front fans to the top for more exhaust and see if that makes a difference.  The temperatures you're getting now are within the "safe" range, but I prefer to keep the CPU below 60 and the GPU below 80 for better system stability.  Some additional airflow may be all you need. :) 

On 7/22/2019 at 11:38 AM, steelo said:

Hi,

My GPU is getting very close to 90C, that seems to be when everything crashes. CPU is getting in the high 70's, but I think it's still in a safe range. I've tried removing the top mesh 'filter' that sits on top of my PC case and surprisingly, it cut almost 5 degrees off of my GPU temps. No crashes today and it's staying around 84-85C but I'll have to do further testing to see.

Try running with the side off the case and the top mesh filter in-place. If it runs for a couple of hours and you see dramatically lower temperatures then you definitely have an air-flow issue.

That case looks fairly nice for a mid-tower case and it is nice that they actually monitor forums and provide feedback. But the supplied fans while good enough for casual gaming may not be providing enough airflow for sustained loads.

That removing the top mesh is improving things suggests that you might have an exhaust issue.

Check also to make sure the rear exhaust fan has not been accidentally been installed as intake and is actually drawing air out rather than pushing air in.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

2 minutes ago, Gorgon said:

Try running with the side off the case and the top mesh filter in-place. If it runs for a couple of hours and you see dramatically lower temperatures then you definitely have an air-flow issue.

That case looks fairly nice for a mid-tower case and it is nice that they actually monitor forums and provide feedback. But the supplied fans while good enough for casual gaming may not be providing enough airflow for sustained loads.

That removing the top mesh is improving things suggests that you might have an exhaust issue.

Check also to make sure the rear exhaust fan has not been accidentally been installed as intake and is actually drawing air out rather than pushing air in.

Thanks, I might try adding a second exhaust fan. I've notice with the current placement of the fan, it sits on top of my video card. This, I believe creates a problem because there is little airflow the graphics card where the components are located