Windows 10 1903 - Slow download speed

Varusal
Go to solution Solved by Varusal,
On 7/25/2019 at 12:15 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

I'd pretty much resigned to booting to Linux to copy any large files, when it suddenly started working.  Absolutely bizarre.

Although in my case I'm not sure it was slowing down the Internet, it was just halving my network performance in general.  But then at best my broadband can hit 120Mbit, so there might be some sort of threshold where it kicks in that my broadband wasn't fast enough to hit and yours is.

I fixed it.

I needed to set the following setting: netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

Everyone said that I should disable that setting. That is what broke it. Now it's fixed

Hey folks,

I currently encountered a weird issue with windows and my network speed. So the weird part is that under Ubuntu I get my speed.

Tried Safe Mode / reinstalled the network chip driver. Still no changes. Does someone has encountered the same issue?

Pictures below!

Pictures from OS: Windows 10 1903 (18362.239)

Windows2.png.2021d824d9306322717a0035e68c7cd3.pngWindows1.png.c40f8ba9fc8eb3749d6ade2799a8359f.png 

Picture form Ubuntu 18.04

Ubuntu2.thumb.jpg.3fb952dfbdc28cc7c33c591e48d91d17.jpgUbuntu1.thumb.jpg.6caf3d236aab3380056c79edaf105cf8.jpg

4 minutes ago, SirMorokei said:

Tried Safe Mode / reinstalled the network chip driver. Still no changes. Does someone has encountered the same issue?

i had problems when i used to install my drivers for a network card, if i didnt install them and kept it on windows default speeds were fine, so maybe u try too , uninstall driver and let windows default do its thing

(◑‿◐)

Just now, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

i had problems when i used to install my drivers for a network card, if i didnt install them and kept it on windows default speeds were fine, so maybe u try too , uninstall driver and let windows default do its thing

Tried it but didn't change anything.

21 minutes ago, SirMorokei said:

Tried it but didn't change anything.

r u sure it isnt just a difference server with same name? try using different server instead

(◑‿◐)

Just now, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

r u sure it isnt just a difference server with same name? try using different server instead

What exactly do you mean? I can use what ever speedtest server I want the results are the same.

4 hours ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

New network card the same issue. On Ubuntu everything is fine.
image.png.3e0ea0df94e6c326da5603b38bdba2a0.png

I had this problem on my laptop from the day I bought it but strangely it suddenly disappeared.  Nothing I did seemed to make a difference at the time, I couldn't spot a specific update that fixed it, I just booted one day and it was fine.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

5 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I had this problem on my laptop from the day I bought it but strangely it suddenly disappeared.  Nothing I did seemed to make a difference at the time, I couldn't spot a specific update that fixed it, I just booted one day and it was fine.

The strangest thing is if I use a VM on my Windows OS and use bridge-mode, the VM gets the full capacity.

But if I use my actual windows client with the same NIC I only get ~170.

On 7/18/2019 at 9:38 PM, SirMorokei said:

The strangest thing is if I use a VM on my Windows OS and use bridge-mode, the VM gets the full capacity.

But if I use my actual windows client with the same NIC I only get ~170.

When trying to fix mine I followed one suggestion to disable QoS on the specific network adapter under Change Adapter options, Properties, untick QoS Packet Sheduler.  That didn't seem to do much at the time, but checking now it does seem to make the speed more consistent.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

7 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

When trying to fix mine I followed one suggestion to disable QoS on the specific network adapter under Change Adapter options, Properties, untick QoS Packet Sheduler.  That didn't seem to do much at the time, but checking now it does seem to make the speed more consistent.

That didn't changed anything, sadly.

10 hours ago, SirMorokei said:

That didn't changed anything, sadly.

Yeah I think it only impacts now because the main problem was fixed, somehow.

Mine wasn't caused by 1903 though, it was from the fresh OEM install which was 18xx something or other.  Wasn't fixed on 1903 either, was something much later than randomly fixed it.

It could be a different issue as I used iperf3 to test to my NAS to confirm the issue was not Internet related.

Are you definitely fully Windows updated?

On 7/22/2019 at 8:42 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

Yeah I think it only impacts now because the main problem was fixed, somehow.

Mine wasn't caused by 1903 though, it was from the fresh OEM install which was 18xx something or other.  Wasn't fixed on 1903 either, was something much later than randomly fixed it.

It could be a different issue as I used iperf3 to test to my NAS to confirm the issue was not Internet related.

Are you definitely fully Windows updated?

Yep I am. I reinstalled the latest big update but that didn't changed anything. Guess I have to wait till the next big update because I won't reinstall windows again.

1 hour ago, SirMorokei said:

Yep I am. I reinstalled the latest big update but that didn't changed anything. Guess I have to wait till the next big update because I won't reinstall windows again.

I'd pretty much resigned to booting to Linux to copy any large files, when it suddenly started working.  Absolutely bizarre.

Although in my case I'm not sure it was slowing down the Internet, it was just halving my network performance in general.  But then at best my broadband can hit 120Mbit, so there might be some sort of threshold where it kicks in that my broadband wasn't fast enough to hit and yours is.

On 7/25/2019 at 12:15 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

I fixed it.

I needed to set the following setting: netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

Everyone said that I should disable that setting. That is what broke it. Now it's fixed

3 hours ago, SirMorokei said:

I fixed it.

Interesting, because I did also turn that off, didn't fix it, turned it back on.  Now I'm wondering if I gave up at that point, not knowing I had actually fixed it.

Did you check what the setting was when you started?

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Interesting, because I did also turn that off, didn't fix it, turned it back on.  Now I'm wondering if I gave up at that point, not knowing I had actually fixed it.

Did you check what the setting was when you started?

Yes, it was disabled. But I didn't disabled it, so it must be caused by an windows update.

1 hour ago, SirMorokei said:

Yes, it was disabled. But I didn't disabled it, so it must be caused by an windows update.

Mine certainly wasn't, or at least it THOUGHT it wasn't, you never know with Windows. ;)