The 5 Year Plan PC

Hi. I'm building a new pc from scratch (1st one). I just want to edit pictures and use autoCAD software. To start out, I'm just going for the following list but plan on sli or crossfire with 2 or 3 cards, a slightly OC'd CPU and 32gb RAM (hence the 5 yr plan). 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Sanderguy777/saved/#view=XvFCLk

My first (there will be many) question is that the compatibility says that tbe build is 1eps connector short. I dont know what that is and if it is the same as a 12v 4+4..... 

As I said I'm new and have 0 knowledge of how to connect stuff or what cables etc. 

Also, any advice on the hardware I chose is welcome. (Maybe a lesser mobo, but seems like a good on for the future) 

5 minutes ago, Sanderguy777 said:

Hi. I'm building a new pc from scratch (1st one). I just want to edit pictures and use autoCAD software. To start out, I'm just going for the following list but plan on sli or crossfire with 2 or 3 cards, a slightly OC'd CPU and 32gb RAM (hence the 5 yr plan). 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Sanderguy777/saved/#view=XvFCLk

My first (there will be many) question is that the compatibility says that tbe build is 1eps connector short. I dont know what that is and if it is the same as a 12v 4+4..... 

As I said I'm new and have 0 knowledge of how to connect stuff or what cables etc. 

Also, any advice on the hardware I chose is welcome. (Maybe a lesser mobo, but seems like a good on for the future) 

Motherboards usually die before the CPU does, so for a system that you want to last a while, get a quality board. 

Also, yes. The EPS connector is the 12v connector that is either a 4 pin or 8 pin (4 + 4) connector.

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

Ok, so I could get a psu with 1 esp and then get a splitter for it? 

What is that connected to anyway? As you can see, there is no graphics card, if that's what it is for... (I plan on getting a 500w psu now, then when I get the GPU, get a 850w or so. 

Forgot to say....my top budget is $600 WITH a GPU. Or $500 without one. So, I need to shave off some money off those parts... obviously the psu gets downgraded to a $40 500w and the hdd will go to a 2 or 3 TB plain one (I have a 250gb ssd from a laptop that should work). 

I ended up getting a 750w psu that has 2 of those cables, problem solved!

On 7/17/2019 at 12:10 AM, Sanderguy777 said:

I'll recommend this instead...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($74.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($52.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Storage: Mushkin - Source 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($44.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 570 4 GB PULSE Video Card  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Deepcool - MATREXX 30 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($40.50 @ Newegg) 
Total: $483.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-19 04:45 EDT-0400

GOLDEN CAT

Ryzen 5 2400g

Asrock AB350 PRO4

Gskill Ripjaws 4*2gb 3000mhz

HP EX920 512GB

Seagate barracuda 2000GB

Zotac 1080ti Amp Extreme

Fractal Design Meshify C

Cooler Master Masterwatt 550

On 7/16/2019 at 2:40 PM, Sanderguy777 said:

sli or crossfire with 2 or 3 cards

Don't bother you won't see any performance increase for photo editing or autoCAD. Just buy one good gpu.

I already bought my system....the FantasTech sale at Newegg was going away, so I grabbed all I could and ran for the door as it were!

Here is the list of parts I got. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Sanderguy777/saved/XvFCLk

I got the 3400g and Asrock 470 master sli in a bundle for $220. The hdd was only $50 at Amazon. The psu was $90, but I figured that with the $30 Antec rebate/coupon, it was worth getting MORE POWER! for future add-ons. Also. The RAM was only $70. (Little Home Improvement reference there)

Thanks for the suggestion Tranquilizer, but I'd rather stick with what I've got. I'll add a GPU later (and if I want, even a better CPU). My parents would die if they new what I spent....

(I do realize that your setup is more powerful,  but without changing every single part I just bought, I would end up spending $110 more than this setup.) 

At some point that will be worth the money, but this setup is WAY more powerful than the laptop I've been scraping by with, and will probably handle the majority of projects I'll work with in my college career just fine.

I have played with fusion 360 and other similar software on the laptop and there is noticeable lag and sluggishness (it has an i7 something, 8gb ram, 240gb ssd) so this system should work no problem on the stuff I've seen so far in drafting classes. 

Thanks though!