How to lock USB from transferring.

Gthu11.7

I have a couple of movies on my USB and I need to loan it to somebody but I dont want them sharing the movies. I did manage to change the drive to readonly, but that still allowed the movies to be copied off it. Just need to disable file transfer from USB to PC but still allow playback of the movies. Is it possible? Is there a way to lock individual files from being transferred? Thanks

12 minutes ago, Gthu11.7 said:

I have a couple of movies on my USB and I need to loan it to somebody but I dont want them sharing the movies. I did manage to change the drive to readonly, but that still allowed the movies to be copied off it. Just need to disable file transfer from USB to PC but still allow playback of the movies. Is it possible? Is there a way to lock individual files from being transferred? Thanks

. . . . you can't do this. By nature, the purpose of a USB stick is to allow file storage, including read + write access. Enabling read-only mode makes it so others can't write to the drive (although that can easily be disabled if they boot into Linux and low-level format the drive) but there's no way to easily prevent others from reading the contents of the drive, aside from encrypting it. What exactly is the person you're loaning it to needing to do with the drive?

Desktop:KiRaShi-Intel-2022聽(i5-12600K, RTX2060)聽Mobile:聽OnePlus 5T聽|聽Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop:聽Dell聽XPS 15 9560 (the real聽15"聽MacBook Pro that Apple didn't聽make)聽Tablet:iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) |聽Canon SX280聽| Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA聽'08)

29 minutes ago, Gthu11.7 said:

Just need to disable file transfer from USB to PC but still allow playback of the movies

This

Imagine the USB drive as a movie on a copy protected DVD.

13 minutes ago, Gthu11.7 said:

Imagine the USB drive as a movie on a copy protected DVD.

Not possible unless you develop software to playback encrypted files from the flashdrive, which is the equivalent of using VeraCrypt (or another similar method) to encrypt the contents of the drive you don't want accessed. DVD copy protection worked exactly like this, as the DVDCSS protection was simply a method of encrypting the files on disk with a key that would allow decrypting via "trusted" software. (Although that didn't work out well since some people made聽libdvdcss聽to get around this...)

Desktop:KiRaShi-Intel-2022聽(i5-12600K, RTX2060)聽Mobile:聽OnePlus 5T聽|聽Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop:聽Dell聽XPS 15 9560 (the real聽15"聽MacBook Pro that Apple didn't聽make)聽Tablet:iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) |聽Canon SX280聽| Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA聽'08)

5 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Not possible unless you develop software to playback encrypted files from the flashdrive, which is the equivalent of using VeraCrypt (or another similar method) to encrypt the contents of the drive you don't want accessed. DVD copy protection worked exactly like this, as the DVDCSS protection was simply a method of encrypting the files on disk with a key that would allow decrypting via "trusted" software. (Although that didn't work out well since some people made聽libdvdcss聽to get around this...)

Well fuck. family wanted to see a movie I had and I feel like my brother would take the movie and give it to聽all his friends. A movie that I payed for. Oh well. Hope something like that would be integrated into windows soon

12 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Thanks though! :)