i7 9700 non k vs i7 9700k

I'm trying to decide which cpu to get. I already have the motherboard and I am Not looking to over clock. The non k is around $50 cheaper. Besides that the only real difference is wattage and the non k is 3 gHz and boosted to 4.7 gHz and the k is 3.6 gHz and boosted to 4.9 gHz. Is the extra I'm getting from the k worth it or would I be fine saving the money?

If you're not wanting to overclock, there is no point to any K series CPU.  The K means unlocked, thus overclockable by multiplier adjustment.  Non K chips can only be overclocked by BCLK adjustment, and very low end boards won't allow for that either.

If you don't plan on overclocking get the non K CPU.

Only for the boost clock difference its not worth the $50 more you wont see a noticeable difference between the CPU if you run them on Stock settings in gaming.

If you already have the motherboard, just go with the CPU that your board is meant for. If you purchased a Z chipset board then you should get the K version. If you do not have a Z board then get non K version.

Would be a real waste of money if you got a Z motherboard and then got a non K chip.

Join HWBot or OCN

#1 3DM Fire Strike Ultra score in the world.

#2 3DM Time Spy Extreme score in the world.

#3 3DM Fire Strike Extreme score in the world.

#7 3DM Sky Diver score in the world.

#8 3DM Fire Strike score in the world.

#12 3DM Time Spy score in the world.

All scores obtained with 8600K + 1x 1070Ti. Links in bio

• 1 month later...

Did you buy the 9700? what was the all core clock? Thinking about buying one myself. Here in Sweden it is around 80 USD cheaper than the 9700k.