Help on my rig D:

Pineapple Wolf
Go to solution Solved by Pineapple Wolf,

Problem solved the hard drive was hitting the 24 pin, I moved it and now it works :D Thanks everyone for your help :3

I recently built my first budget computer. Today my power supply (Corsair CX500M) arrived so I finished building it. However, once everything was plugged in and flicked the power switch at the back my ram lit up and my fans spun for about half a second before everything went quiet. Can someone please help? It's my first build, I can put up pictures if that helps.

Thanks, Pineapple Wolf :D

Specs?

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

uh..... very strange hrm. Is the switch on the back of the power supply on?

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

i5 4670k, msi h81m-e33 v2, Avexir Core red series 8gb (2x4gb)Stock cooler ;~; 160 gb hard drive I found in an old computer :/

This happened to my friend. Make sure the 24-pin is plugged ALL the way in, but dont force it in. It should fix the problem, if not, check all the connectors.

[CPU: 4670k] [CPU Cooler: Antec Kühler 1220] [Case: Obsidian 350D] [Mobo: Maximus VI Gene] [RAM: Vengeance Pro 8GB] [GPU: 770 DirectCU II] [PSU: CX750M

[Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB] [Screen: Dell U2312HM 23" E-IPS] [Keyboard: Steelseries Apex RAW]

Is the 4 pin CPU connector plugged in? I think this happens if it isn't.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

i5 4670k, msi h81m-e33 v2, Avexir Core red series 8gb (2x4gb)Stock cooler ;~; 160 gb hard drive I found in an old computer :/

sorry but i have to comment this: an unlocked cpu with such a crappy board!? it's not even z87...

sorry but i have to comment this: an unlocked cpu with such a crappy board!? it's not even z87...

I'm only using this board until I can afford a gene, not that much money atm D:

I'm only using this board until I can afford a gene, not that much money atm D:

oh ok then... sorry... :P let's go to solve the problem now shall we?

Triple checked all connected cables?

Sounds stupid but you'd be surprised how easy a slip up can slip the mind.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

check if them ram is put correctly in and check for the front pannel connectors. this same issue happened some days ago with another member

Ahhhh bummer to happen on ur first build, Recheck all the PSU cables are fully pushed in, push them in again a bit harder to double check. only other things i can think of is check ur ram is fully pushed in and the CPU is fitted properly with the triangle on the right corner. 

Ram is definitely plugged in well, I think it might be the hard drive pushing the 24 pin cable. Also this hard drive has some shitty screws which I can't get get out, I twisted them so many times and even though it's fully loose it won't come out

shitty screws which I can't get get out, I twisted them so many times and even though it's fully loose it won't come out

needlenosepliers.jpg

Got Needle Nose Pliers?, give it a firm twist with some removing force and they should come out.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

needlenosepliers.jpg

Got Needle Nose Pliers?, give it a firm twist with some removing force and they should come out.

I feel so silly, Thanks a lot :D

I feel so silly, Thanks a lot :D

Been there...felt silly, it happens, embrace it :)

Problem solved the hard drive was hitting the 24 pin, I moved it and now it works :D Thanks everyone for your help :3

Damn Jigglebutt cabling!!!!

Glad its sorted.

Damn Jigglebutt cabling!!!!

Glad its sorted.

Yeah, long nose pliers saved the day :D Thanks again

Yeah, long nose pliers saved the day :D Thanks again

Didn't short anything, didn't plug anything into where it shouldn't,...

Your first build went awesome considering that if you had put the HDD in another bay or used different screws, you'd have not had an issue... So, Well done on a complete troublefree'ish  build.

Fixed it within 30s of being able to remove the drive.

... one screw to RUIN it all... one screw to blind him, one screw to twist it all, one screw to defy him.

Didn't short anything, didn't plug anything into where it shouldn't,...

Your first build went awesome considering that if you had put the HDD in another bay or used different screws, you'd have not had an issue... So, Well done on a complete troublefree'ish  build.

Fixed it within 30s of being able to remove the drive.

... one screw to RUIN it all... one screw to blind him, one screw to twist it all, one screw to defy him.

That's going to be my personal motto from now on "... one screw to RUIN it all... one screw to blind him, one screw to twist it all, one screw to defy him."