Programming/Computer Science Laptop

Hello, everyone,

In September, I am going to be starting my computer science (and maths - it's a combined course) studies at university, and was wondering if anyone could recommend a laptop which fits the following requirements:

- WEIGHT: under 2kg (4.41 lbs) (this is a MUST)

- BATTERY: battery life of at least 8 hours (this is a MUST, unless the charger's weight combined with the laptop's weight fit the weight requirement above)

- SIZE: 14" or 15.6" (or something in between, but nothing smaller) (this is a MUST)

- GPU: I won't be doing any gaming on the laptop, so a dedicated graphics card is not required (I will have a desktop with a graphics card)

- COST: preferably under £750, but can spend up to £1000 (would rather not though; also, I live in the UK)

- STORAGE: at least 500 GB of SSD storage, but as long as the laptop is upgradable to this inside the above given price range, it is acceptable; having the possibility to put an HDD inside it along with the SSD would be nice, but not required.

- OS: don't need an OS (will be running linux ubuntu, and would rather avoid this cost, but if not possible, then fine)

- RAM: want 16 GB, but as long as the laptop is upgradable to 16 GB inside the above given price range, it is acceptable

- CPU: Would prefer an i7/ryzen 7, but and i5/ryzen 5 is acceptable

Please feel free to give me advice/comments on the above!

Thank you for your help!

5 minutes ago, michael1212 said:

battery life of at least 8 hours

doing what? idle? watching videos?

what you're looking for is an ultrabook, judging by the weight requirements.

but there arent any cheap ultrabooks out there tbh, not that i know of.

and your CPU requirement (i assume you want performance, not just any dual core i7) is quite odd for the amount of battery life you requested.

it's like asking for a unicorn

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

doing what? idle? watching videos?

text editing, web browsing, a video here and there, running some of my own programs here and there.

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

(i assume you want performance, not just any dual core i7

tbh, a dual core quad thread might not be horrible. Don't need that much performance.

4 minutes ago, star_pilot475 said:

Well, it’s 2.2kg but this looks to be about everything you’re looking for.

Looks good, now just to find it for UK if it exists... Thanks though

1 minute ago, michael1212 said:

Looks good, now just to find it for UK if it exists... Thanks though

Oh, thought I sent the UK link hold on a sec.

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

1 minute ago, star_pilot475 said:

Oh, thought I sent the UK link hold on a sec.

Well you did, but the laptop is unavailable for UK according to newegg (and out of stock)

1 minute ago, michael1212 said:

Well you did, but the laptop is unavailable for UK according to newegg (and out of stock)

Try going to the US page. On my end it says ships from US but ships to UK.

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

2 minutes ago, star_pilot475 said:

Try going to the US page. On my end it says ships from US but ships to UK.

Alright, think I found it: https://www.newegg.com/global/uk-en/black-dell-inspiron-15-everyday-value/p/1TS-000A-03KY3?Description=Dell Inspiron 7573&cm_re=Dell_Inspiron_7573-_-9SIA24G9CU0657-_-Product

The screen resolution is probably a bit overkill, but otherwise looks good. Don't mind the extra 200g.

The main problem is I'm never sure of customs and import tax. Newegg estimates the total cost to be about £817 with VAT. If I don't need to pay more, it's a great choice.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd post an update: In the end, I decided to go with an ASUS VivoBook: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MWLBYW6/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_7

I am going to upgrade it so that it has a total of 20 GB, so the total cost is going to be about £760.

The reason I chose this laptop is because it was light, and although I compromised on the battery life, the laptop along with the charger weight under 1.8kg which is acceptable. The battery is still pretty good though!

I have atached a spreadsheet with some of the other laptops i was considering with the attributes of the laptops i considered. That was correct about 2 weeks ago, so not much should have changed. It isn't fully filled out, but if you are in a similar situation like me, and don't like my choice for whatever reason, then it might help you.

laptops.xlsx

Why Vivobook tho...

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

38 minutes ago, michael1212 said:

Please tell me why not? @GeneXiS_X

meh quality

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128