Network Switch Behaviour

Busconian

Hey guys, I have an older 24 port gigabit switch from dell. (Powerconnect 5324)

Great for my purposes of connecting systems through the house, but I just have a small issue that I am not sure if it's something I can fix.

Anyways, the whole network is setup but lets say I turn my PC off then on, it takes about a minute once inside of Windows for my network to finally be discovered. Or just plugging in an Ethernet cable for the first time takes about a minute for it to recognize it.

Putting a router in between my PC and the switch on the network solves that issue, but is there another way around this? Perhaps leaving my PC as always on in the settings?

Router 1 -> Switch -> PC = Slow to connect to a network

Router 1 -> Switch -> Random Router -> PC = Regular time to connect to a network

Thanks!

do you use static ip on your local network or dynamic ip? is that switch a model with serial port, to administrate settings in it? might be trying to set some vlan or some weird setting it cant and fail like that

If the switch is configured with traditional STP, and not a more modern version like RSTP or MSTP, then the switch may keep the port in the Blocking/Learning state for 15+ seconds before it allows any data to pass initially, even if both the switch and the computer are showing a link light. During this 15 seconds, your computer's first DHCP request will be sent and dropped, and it will be some time before the computer's second DHCP request (or third or whatever number, basically the first to be sent after the STP process finishes and allows traffic from the port). Additional time would be added if LACP is enabled on all ports, as LACP requires its own blocking/learning period in order to determine if the port should be aggregated with another existing connection.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

16 hours ago, goto10 said:

do you use static ip on your local network or dynamic ip? is that switch a model with serial port, to administrate settings in it? might be trying to set some vlan or some weird setting it cant and fail like that

I have a dynamic address.

It has a serial port, but I have no serial cables to configure it. (The switch older and just given to me second hand) I should probably purchase one...

I could factory reset it

yes you could reset it, but some switches do need some basic configuration, but being connected to a router it should jist do what it should, not guess for minutes, reset it, if it remains working weird, a 24 port unmanaged switch connected to the router will do what you need