Building a new gaming system

Naxy
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
53 minutes ago, Naxy said:

Thanks for the reply!

So would you suggest the 2060 super or the 2070 super when it comes out?

And for the motherboard, why not go with Gigabyte - X570 AORUS ELITE? There wouldn't be any BIOS issues with it than. 

For the CPU cooler, is there any AIO's that would work with this build instead of using the arctic freezer 34 cooler?

The RTX 2070 Super should be about the same price as a regular RTX 2070 with improved performance. See what prices are like when they release. Maybe even wait until the 23rd July for the RTX 2080 super especially if going with a 1440p high refresh rate monitor.

No issues with the bios with the Tomahawk either as it has bios flashback. You don't need a cpu installed to update it.

I mean any 240mm+ AIO would cool a 6 core cpu. They don't really run that hot. An air cooler is better value for money though. The one above is pretty good and it can be used with tall ram without any clearance issues as it doesn't cover any ram slots. If you want an AIO then something like the CoolerMaster Masterliquid ML240L would be ok for $79.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/RcdFf7/cooler-master-masterliquid-ml240l-rgb-667-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-mlw-d24m-a20pc-r1

Hi all!

I am planning to build a gaming system for my brother that could run 1440p 75-100fps in mind. I was going to build it in Lian-Li case because I really like the look of it, but I am not 100% sure if I want to use it (let me know if you have any suggestions for cases). I have built a rough system and wanted to get your guy's thoughts on it. I have a budget of $2,000.00 CAD but would love it if it could be lower, if possible. Also, I wanted it to use the new AMD processor that just came out. Side note: Some people have said the CPU cooler is overkill if that is overkill what would you recommend for an AIO cooler for this system?

Thanks for your suggestions and help!

It is a very aesthetic over the performance build, but if you are fine with it then it is a ok build. It will certainly look fantastic.

240 watercooler would be fine, 360 is more like a r9 3900x territory.

Also if you are already buying windows, never buy the home version, PRO is the minimum you should consider. Also for 130$ you should be able to get a full licence, not OEM.

Because if you are spending 100+$ you should get a windows 10 licence that lasts you through multiple computers etc. So i would recommend WIN 10 PRO Retail version.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

4 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

It is a very aesthetic over the performance build, but if you are fine with it then it is a ok build. It will certainly look fantastic.

240 watercooler would be fine, 360 is more like a r9 3900x territory.

Also if you are already buying windows, never buy the home version, PRO is the minimum you should consider. Also for 130$ you should be able to get a full licence, not OEM.

Because if you are spending 100+$ you should get a windows 10 licence that lasts you through multiple computers etc. So i would recommend WIN 10 PRO Retail version.

If you were going to make it more of a performance build what would you change? 

And in regards to the windows, are you saying I should get the PRO version?

1 minute ago, Naxy said:

If you were going to make it more of a performance build what would you change? 

And in regards to the windows, are you saying I should get the PRO version?

You should try to get a better gpu, a normal 2060 is not worth 500$.   Minimum a 2060 super, or a 2070super for that price. 

Yeah, win 10 Pro doesn't have the auto update problem, and a couple of extra features.

4 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

You should try to get a better gpu, a normal 2060 is not worth 500$.   Minimum a 2060 super, or a 2070super for that price. 

Yeah, win 10 Pro doesn't have the auto update problem, and a couple of extra features.

Are the 2060 and the 2070 supers out?

4 minutes ago, Naxy said:

Are the 2060 and the 2070 supers out?

Should be, wasn't 8th july the release?

The Verge says that the 2060 and the 2070 will launch on July 9th. So not for 2 days. But you would recommend either the 2060 or the 2070 with my build? And just to browse, do you have any cases that you would recommend, or think that would be good with this build? 

I would do something like this. The R7 2700 still looks tempting though for $7 dollars more.

The RTX 2070 is just a placeholder for the Super version. 

The CoolerMaster H500 is also a good case.

For a 6 core cpu the Tomahawk will handle it fine, as would the Arctic cooler. 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($269.00 @ Canada Computers) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler  ($60.28 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($149.99 @ Memory Express) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($91.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: HP - EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($159.99 @ PC-Canada) 
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB GAMING AMP Video Card  ($599.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop) 
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($114.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($128.75 @ Vuugo) 
Total: $1674.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-07 19:22 EDT-0400

10 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

I would do something like this. The R7 2700 still looks tempting though for $7 dollars more.

The RTX 2070 is just a placeholder for the Super version. 

The CoolerMaster H500 is also a good case.

For a 6 core cpu the Tomahawk will handle it fine, as would the Arctic cooler. 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($269.00 @ Canada Computers) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler  ($60.28 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($149.99 @ Memory Express) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($91.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: HP - EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($159.99 @ PC-Canada) 
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB GAMING AMP Video Card  ($599.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop) 
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($114.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($128.75 @ Vuugo) 
Total: $1674.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-07 19:22 EDT-0400

Thanks for the reply!

And for the motherboard, why not go with Gigabyte - X570 AORUS ELITE? There wouldn't be any BIOS issues with it than. 

For the CPU cooler, is there any AIO's that would work with this build instead of using the arctic freezer 34 cooler?

53 minutes ago, Naxy said:

Thanks for the reply!

The RTX 2070 Super should be about the same price as a regular RTX 2070 with improved performance. See what prices are like when they release. Maybe even wait until the 23rd July for the RTX 2080 super especially if going with a 1440p high refresh rate monitor.

No issues with the bios with the Tomahawk either as it has bios flashback. You don't need a cpu installed to update it.

I mean any 240mm+ AIO would cool a 6 core cpu. They don't really run that hot. An air cooler is better value for money though. The one above is pretty good and it can be used with tall ram without any clearance issues as it doesn't cover any ram slots. If you want an AIO then something like the CoolerMaster Masterliquid ML240L would be ok for $79.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/RcdFf7/cooler-master-masterliquid-ml240l-rgb-667-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-mlw-d24m-a20pc-r1

1 hour ago, lee32uk said:

Sounds good. Thanks for your help and time, much appreciated. :)