Serious issues with water loop

Hey guys, I just built my first custom loop, and I've been hitting some serious thermal issues with it. It immediately hits 100° celcius on boot. The first time I took the water block off my cpu, the thermal paste was only on half the CPU, so that makes sense, so I re-seated it and did another 24 hour leak test. I tested it again, and thermals were much better on boot ( 50° ) so I thought I might have fixed it, once I stress tested it, thermals immediately jumped back to 100° and so after some fiddling with the bios, the fan curves, the pump, etc , I had to drain the loop and try to remount the CPU block. This time the thermal paste was evenly spread across the CPU. So I'm not quite sure, the mounting seemed solid, and I don't think it would have been mounted wrong.. upon inspecting my cpu block I noticed some gunk in the fins, so I took it apart and cleaned it with soapy water and a fine toothbrush. ( I also rinsed my radiator )  I've just put it back together and am starting another leak test, but if this one doesn't work what else do you think I could try ? ? I'm absolutely baffled by these thermals. I know I'm posting pre-emptivly but I'm trying to get a grasp on what I could try next of this test fails. Do you think I could have fault components? 

Side note: I've bled the loop properly each time, and no air bubbles are in the loop, and the pump is definitely working ! I'm also worried I ruins the integrity of the water block by opening it up! 

What CPU and which tests are you running?

50C on boot still seems too hot for me.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

13 minutes ago, Lurick said:

What CPU and which tests are you running?

50C on boot still seems too hot for me.

Definitely seems too hot to me as well, but it was substantially better than 100 ° ?, I'm running a 9700k, and I got this kit for liquid cooling Thermaltake liquid cooling kit. *edit* : sorry I missed the question about the tests. I'm doing aida64, and I did a cpu-z test as well. I don't run em very long , soon as I see 90+ I turn off the test 

2 hours ago, Vynro said:

Definitely seems too hot to me as well, but it was substantially better than 100 ° ?, I'm running a 9700k, and I got this kit for liquid cooling Thermaltake liquid cooling kit. *edit* : sorry I missed the question about the tests. I'm doing aida64, and I did a cpu-z test as well. I don't run em very long , soon as I see 90+ I turn off the test 

Please post photos of your system and any in between photos of assembly.

4 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Please post photos of your system and any in between photos of assembly.

Unfortunately don't have in between photos 

IMG_20190705_015933.jpg

Given the temps you have seen, there is something very wrong with your mount.

The loop looks fine, and tbh even if you had a major goof there, you would not see 100C instantly 

Is there by any chance a plastic protector on the underside of your CPU block?

If not, then it doesn't sound like you are getting enough contact /  pressure between the block and the CPU.

9900K  / Asus Maximus Formula XI / 32Gb G.Skill RGB 4266mHz / 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / EVGA 3090 FTW3.

2 loops : XSPC EX240 + 2x RX360 (CPU + VRMs) / EK Supremacy Evo & RX480 + RX360 (GPU) / Optimus W/B. 2 x D5 pumps / EK Res

8x NF-A2x25s, 14 NF-F12s and a Corsair IQ 140 case fan / CM HAF Stacker 945 / Corsair AX 860i

LG 38GL950G & Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Duckyshine 6 YOTR / Logitech G502 / Thrustmaster Warthog & TPR / Blue Yeti / Sennheiser HD599SE / Astro A40s

Valve Index, Knuckles & 2x Lighthouse V2

56 minutes ago, WihGlah said:

Given the temps you have seen, there is something very wrong with your mount.

The loop looks fine, and tbh even if you had a major goof there, you would not see 100C instantly 

Is there by any chance a plastic protector on the underside of your CPU block?

If not, then it doesn't sound like you are getting enough contact /  pressure between the block and the CPU.

There's no plastic protector thankfully ( made that mistake when I was younger ?) and yeah hopefully that's all it is, I'm currently running a leak test , I'll boot it up in a few hours and pray that this works , maybe as the old adage says, "third time's the charm". If not, I'll contact thermaltake and see what they might be able to do.

I guess I'll add, now that I've had so many problems , I'm second guessing how tight I made my fittings. I tightened them finger tight to the point they won't spin anymore. Do you guys think I over did it or just the right amount ? 

10 hours ago, Vynro said:

I guess I'll add, now that I've had so many problems , I'm second guessing how tight I made my fittings. I tightened them finger tight to the point they won't spin anymore. Do you guys think I over did it or just the right amount ? 

Are we talking gentle force or with a decent amount of pressure they won't turn? If you can apply a good bit of force when tightening with your fingers and they won't budge then you're good.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

14 hours ago, Lurick said:

Are we talking gentle force or with a decent amount of pressure they won't turn? If you can apply a good bit of force when tightening with your fingers and they won't budge then you're good.

Thanks! Got it all figured it out, and my temps are solid ☺️ 5.1GHz with max temp of 67° ?

8 hours ago, Vynro said:

Thanks! Got it all figured it out, and my temps are solid ☺️ 5.1GHz with max temp of 67° ?

Nice! Glad it's all working out :)

If you don't mind my asking, what was the issue?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

glad to hear its working!!! i was going to say is the pump working?...lol

8 hours ago, Lurick said:

Nice! Glad it's all working out :)

If you don't mind my asking, what was the issue?

Oh my bad ! Was so excited I forgot to say what fixed it ! A super rookie, silly mistake ! This plastic washer was on the other side before ( for all 4 posts ) causing a 1-2 mm gap, so the paste was still spreading , just not making good contact ? I read the instructions too fast ? but it's a learning experience ! I also, never thought to check that when remounting the first 2 times !

IMG_20190707_203628.jpg

1 hour ago, Vynro said:

Oh my bad ! Was so excited I forgot to say what fixed it ! A super rookie, silly mistake ! This plastic washer was on the other side before ( for all 4 posts ) causing a 1-2 mm gap, so the paste was still spreading , just not making good contact ? I read the instructions too fast ? but it's a learning experience ! I also, never thought to check that when remounting the first 2 times !

IMG_20190707_203628.jpg

No ones perfect, glad all is fine now. Also nice looking build, wanted to ask are those the thermaltake  C pro fittings?  and if so are they any good? 

20 minutes ago, Shadowman said:

No ones perfect, glad all is fine now. Also nice looking build, wanted to ask are those the thermaltake  C pro fittings?  and if so are they any good? 

They are indeed ! I like them, havnt had any leaks in the 3 times I had to take the loop apart ?, I got them in a kit: Thermaltake Pacific c360 Hard Tubing kit

I didn't have much experience in what parts to choose I I opted for where they do it for you ? 

I will say this: they give you just enough fittings for a closed loop, with no drain, though with the way I did my loop, I just undo the bottom fitting and it's a perfect drain point. The fittings themselves are super easy to use, though I also don't have a point of reference for other fittings !