Screen will not go to blank after timeout.

ldehaas1612

Okay, I hear what you're thinking: most people hate the display going blank timeout and turn it off as soon as possible. However, it occasionally happens that I get called away from behind my pc and totally forget the thing is still on untill hours later I get back and discover that the set timeout of the screen for 15 minutes has not been tripped.

I couldn't get the screen to turn off in any way so I downloaded a tool to do it forcefully. However the screen goes black, stays like that for about a second, comes back and flashes one more time. I had a joystick connected which was said to give issues but even after I've disconnected it the problem persists... Anyone suggestions of what to check next?

Any help would be kindly appreciated! 

Luc

Do you have steam installed if so it is likely steamwebhelper.exe that is causing your problem. If not run the command in powershell or cmd as administrator "powercfg -energy" after it runs (it will take 60 sec) type ".\energy-report.html" both  without the quotes. That report should tell you what is causing your screen to stay on.

If it does happen to be the fault of steamwebhelper.exe just use the command "powercfg -REQUESTSOVERRIDE PROCESS steamwebhelper.exe Display System Awaymode" to override it.

Thanks for the tip on running the -energy command! I got a whole list of potential power suckers. However steam (although installed) is not present in this particular list. I tried stopping all the .exe files from taskmgr but the problem still persists.. I've attached the file here in case you find it interesting

energy-report.html

View event logs

• Click Start
      • Search for View event logs in the search bar
      • Start the event logs and wait for them to load
      • Click Windows Logs System
      • Click Filter current logs on the right pane
      • Select Event Source: Power troubleshooting and click OK
      • In the middle, check the event logged when your PC woke up and check the details of the log to find the wake source

https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-monitor-wont-sleep/

If that doesn't work I can't help you sorry. Not without more information that is.

Also, I looked through your report and did not see anything that should keep it awake. It could be a bad mouse or other device that is plugged in. You could try unplugging stuff one by one.

One more thing you could try with powercfg is the command "powercfg /requests" see if that comes up with anything.