Did you know ......

SolarNova

Greetings.

Did you know that monitors have truly terrible black level uniformity ?

I was searching rtings test results today, both monitors and TV's, and was reminded how truly disgusting the state of monitors, and smaller TV's are in currently.

You will not find ANY monitor on rtings list of reviews that scores over 7.1 in black level uniformity (of which there is only 1 that scores 7.1), most score below 5. (out of 10). The pictures linked with all these scores shows how truly horrible the uniformity is.

Grey uniformity 'can' fair better, but trying to match that up with a good black level score is very difficult. The best you can ask for is 6.5 to 7.1 on black with 8 to 9 on grey, resulting in a mere 6 results, and that's before filtering by ANY other spec, such as size, resolution, frequency etc.

Even some of the most expensive monitors available have truly terrible scores in certain areas, predominantly to do with picture quality.

Then we move onto TV's, where anything below 49" scores low on overall picture quality mainly due to poor HDR support and terrible uniformity across both grey and black levels. not to mention poor input latency and pixel response.

However, 'miraculously', as soon as you go 49" and above the scores skyrocket, with uniformity vastly better, usually better (25ms and below) input latency, and better pixel response. Results ofc have OLED appearing due to their availability being only above 55", but even the LCD offerings suddenly have far better quality.

As it is, if ur looking for a VDU below 49" that is actually 'good' at its primary purpose of displaying an image, then ur sod out of luck as there is currently nothing available.

Does any1 disagree? , does any1 have any examples of what they think is a good example of a monitor or TV below 49" in regard to picture quality, especially in regards to uniformity ?

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

I kinda scanned thru this post, but doesn't it make sense? Isn't a pixel a light? And a light can't produce BLACK light, can it? So even if it powered off to get as... "dark" as possible, wouldn't it still be affected by ambient light, glare, etc.?

I'm not well versed in monitors, it was the one component I didn't spend much time on, so I might be thinking about this wrong. 

Thoughts become things. What you hold in your mind, you will hold in your hand. 

Be happy for yourself.

My rig :) :

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tX4hWD

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor  
Motherboard: Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive   
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  
GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB AORUS Video Card 
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  

Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  
Monitor: AOC - G2770PQU 27.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor 
Keyboard: Corsair - K70 RGB RAPIDFIRE Wired Gaming Keyboard 
Mouse: Corsair - Sabre RGB Wired Optical Mouse  
Custom: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, 250 ohms 

1 minute ago, D1Wolfgang said:

I kinda scanned thru this post, but doesn't it make sense? Isn't a pixel a light? And a light can't produce BLACK light, can it? So even if it powered off to get as... "dark" as possible, wouldn't it still be affected by ambient light, glare, etc.?

I'm not well versed in monitors, it was the one component I didn't spend much time on, so I might be thinking about this wrong. 

Thats more an issue with LCD's inability to produce pure black. Not really relevant to the issue of uniformity. Though it is a very significant reason for LCD's inferiority to CRT, Plasma, and OLED ..and pritty much any self emissive display.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |