PSU Compatibility (GPU Upgrade)

Arika

I've been planning for a while to move to an ultrawide monitor however I don't think my little GTX1060 is going to be able to power the extra screenspace in a manner i would be happy with, so i'm likely going to be upgrading my GPU along with the new monitor. my main concern is my power supply and whether or not that needs an upgrade.

I currently have a SilverStone SFX Gold 500W SX500-LG

and would be looking at upgrading to one of the following.

RTX2060

RTX2060 Super (depending on price and availability)

RTX2070 (very upper end of my preferred budget)

Vega 64 (power consumption looks like it might be too high though).

RX5700 (waiting for independent reviews)

Looking at PCPP there's a number of builds using this PSU with GPUs more powerful than the above, but i have also overclocked my CPU (7600k to 4.7) and have no idea how much that affects it's power consumption.

According to the Legacy PSU tier list it's in Tier D

Tier D

• Silverstone - Strider Plus, Gold SFX

no idea what this really means though.

Halp @seon123, @Stefan Payne, @LukeSavenije,  @LienusLateTips

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

for most systems tho 500w is more then enough especially since it seems like your is a small form factor build.  I would say that you should be good to go. 

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

from what i can see personally is that it's a sirfa, has a sleeve fan and a somewhat high ripple on the 3.3/5v side. nothing too concerning, but that sleeve fan will probably fail faster

i think it would be around tier b