Programmable light strip.

Fosh612

Alright, so I want to program an RGB light strip with Arduino ( preferably because I have only worked with Arduino). I only want to control colors and make the lights blink, make a wave effect and other simple stuff like that. Just like you would get in a light strip if you were to buy one off amazon or something, I just want to program it. If this is possible, what do I need. ( I literally mean everything, such as a breadboard, specific type of Arduino board, any other components). 

Sorry for the long post. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

5 minutes ago, James Evens said:

FastLED

WS2812b are one of the cheapest strips.

Any idea what type of Arduino board I will need?

Any 5v arduino board will work. More powerful boards allow for more LEDs as they have more processing time available but this only goes so far.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

3 minutes ago, trag1c said:

Any 5v arduino board will work. More powerful boards allow for more LEDs as they have more processing time available but this only goes so far.

Will Arduino uno be fine? It’s the one I have worked with so probably be best? I am quite inexperienced with Arduino.  

4 hours ago, Fosh612 said:

Will Arduino uno be fine? It’s the one I have worked with so probably be best? I am quite inexperienced with Arduino.  

Most definitely. You just have to remember that these devices have very limited ram and processing time. But thats regardless of the model. As long as your not trying to have the thing control a massive light show you will be fine.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

On 6/25/2019 at 6:08 PM, trag1c said:

Most definitely. You just have to remember that these devices have very limited ram and processing time. But thats regardless of the model. As long as your not trying to have the thing control a massive light show you will be fine.

I just wanna change the colors and maybe some blinking and stuff like that.