New Build

Kryptyx

So I think its time to finally build a new system. I'm on the fence with doing my first custom loop or not. This is what I'm looking at part-wise (as long as reviews hold up with Ryzen 3).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900X
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (or Formula if I do a custom loop)
GPU: RTX 2080TI (Asus OC or Nvidia reference if I do custom loop)
PSU: Asus Thor 850w
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 64GB
Storage: PCIE 4 1-2TB (waiting on reviews)
Case: Fractal Design Mesify S2 (open to others)

I'm also looking at the Asus PG35V now that it's finally starting to ship, of course, I want to see reviews on it first.

Some things to note: I've normally gone with an AIO in the past as its easy and I don't have to maintain anything. My current build (in signature) has held up well until just recently (I think the SSD is going). Budget isn't really an issue but at the same time, I am looking to make somewhat smart decisions as I plan to have this system for several years while only having to do minor upgrades (GPU) over time. I am open to keeping my current 1080TIs until 3080TI comes out as well but who knows when Nvidia will release that. I don't plan to have SLI with my next GPU (not worth the headache and there is no gain at my resolution 3440x1440).

I've also never done a custom loop before. I feel pretty confident I could do it but I want to avoid the maintenance of it. How often do you guys swap fluids or drain/clean the blocks?

Any input is appreciated.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

Keep the 1080ti (3440 x 1440 is a nice sweetspot for the 1080ti as it isn't as demanding as 4k), and depending on what you plan to use this build for, maybe going for the 8 core instead of the 12 core might make more sense.

If you're a streamer then the Ryzen 9 chips are interesting choices, but otherwise the 6 and 8 core chips are where you want to be. 3700x is the best choice for you probably. You wanted to last a while so as games change to focusing on 8 cores 16 threads instead of currently 6 cores 12 threads, the 3700x will begin to become beneficial. The 3800x is a waste of money in my eyes when the 3700x can likely overclock very similarly.

Stick with the Hero because the Formula is looking like an unnecessary overpriced ASUS moneygrab from what the rumored prices are saying ($700..). If you're going to spend huge money on the motherboard, the x570 Aorus Xtreme is the way to go because it has no chipset fan. If they lower the Formula to 500 then it becomes a more interesting board though.

I'm not an expert on watercooling so I'll leave that to someone else.

Thanks for the feedback!

From what I gathered the 3700X is likely going to be the most cost-efficient SKU. The reason I'm looking at the 3900X is mostly for the added cores for virtualization. I plan to run some docker containers and will likely do some media streaming from the system as well. So this will act like a server and a gaming system all-in-one.  

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

4 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

Thanks for the feedback!

From what I gathered the 3700X is likely going to be the most cost-efficient SKU. The reason I'm looking at the 3900X is mostly for the added cores for virtualization. I plan to run some docker containers and will likely do some media streaming from the system as well. So this will act like a server and a gaming system all-in-one.  

Ah okay, I guess 3900x is the better option then. Oh and by the way, you may as well stick with the AX860i psu you've got. It's an amazing psu and it'll still work just fine with the new build. I've got an AX860i for my FX 9590 build and I'm transferring it for a Zen2 build too.