Need to know if Gigabyte or ASRock have software for Controlling Fans based on GPU temp

Go to solution Solved by AdventurerIX,
1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

Software isn't the issue, the motherboards themselves are. And if mobo has chip for GPU temps or not, thats not easy thing to check. There would need to be someone with actual mobo to check if you can set GPU temp as sensor to be used.

My Gigabyte can do that, but I'm not sure if its universal feature for all of that brands mobos.

Most motherboards can detect GPU temp, thats why if you download something like HWinfo it will tell you the temperature your gpu is at, even some games Black Ops 4 for instance has a setting to display GPU temp on screen in game, it is actually a software issue, as the software needs to be able to grab those temperatures and allow you to set a fan curve to make Fans plugged into the motherboard that normally can only be controlled by CPU temp or user set constant RPM speed and instead have them make that curve off GPU temp, now a normal Overclocking program like MSI Afterburner can see those temps and change the speed of the fans that are actually on the GPU, but in this case i need to control fans that are connected to a motherboard not the GPU directly, There are 2 programs i know are able to set these curves, CAM from NZXT which requires the use of my NZXT GRID, or Speedfan which takes some time to set up as its not a straightforward proccess, i was trying to find out if any of the motherboard manufacturers have a program for it made for use on their motherboards so i could remove the grid, i posted this in the Motherboard forum as well and was told by a user of the gigabyte board that they know Smart Fan 5 does not but they are unsure of the ASRock board but doubt it, so Im going to say right here that my problem has been solved.

Which motherboard should i get for my Node 202 build  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which motherboard should i get for my Node 202 build

• ASRock - Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac
    • Gigabyte - B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI

I have a Node 202 Build in which i control 2 fans in the GPU bay based of tempeture of the GPU using a NZXT Grid V2 with CAM software  and then also control my CPU fan as well as a few more smaller 40mm fans in the cpu champer. I am going to be upgrading my build to ryzen and wanted to know if the software for either of the two boards that are my current options will be able to do this so that i could remove the Grid V2 from the case (every cm counts in a Node 202 build!) The ASRock Software i beleive is called Fatal1ty F- Stream and the Gigabyte software is Smart Fan 5. Im having a hard time finding info online for this. My build this question is for

Speedfan should enable you to set up custom fan curves. You will need to do some reading on how to properly set them up though. It's not quite as simple as click-and-go.

Edit: It took me a minute (i'm tired, shush :P), but I realize that your title reads "GPU", not "CPU". If it is indeed your GPU you're wishing to control MSI Afterburner should be able to help you out.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

1 minute ago, Semper said:

Speedfan should enable you to set up custom fan curves. You will need to do some reading on how to properly set them up though. It's not quite as simple as click-and-go.

i know speedfan works but i want to find out if either of the softwares designed for the boards  have this functionality as well

8 minutes ago, AdventurerIX said:

i know speedfan works but i want to find out if either of the softwares designed for the boards  have this functionality as well

I don't have any personal experience with SmartFan5, but I know previous iterations of it did include the ability to set fan curves. Looking at Google, it appears as though it also includes this functionality again.

ASRock's utility is called F-Stream, and by the looks of it, it has the ability to control fan speed, but in a manual way, set-and-forget, so to speak. I'm not seeing the option to set curves anywhere. I have no experience with it.

I don't believe either are capable of controlling GPU fans.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

1 minute ago, Semper said:

I don't have any personal experience with SmartFan5, but I know previous iterations of it did include the ability to set fan curves. Looking at Google, it appears as though it also includes this functionality again.

ASRock's utility is called F-Stream, and by the looks of it, it has the ability to control fan speed, but in a manual way, set-and-forget, so to speak. I'm not seeing the option to set curves anywhere. I have no experience with it.

I don't believe either are capable of controlling GPU fans.

yeah thats what i was seeing, im currently at work so i cant sit down and watch a video of someone going through all the features of the software to find if its in there somewhere, For what i need it for the CAM software works quite well and is actually perfect but if i can remove that hub then it frees up some space the inside of my build has cables everywhere also for reference im going to add my build to the post

Software isn't the issue, the motherboards themselves are. And if mobo has chip for GPU temps or not, thats not easy thing to check. There would need to be someone with actual mobo to check if you can set GPU temp as sensor to be used.

My Gigabyte can do that, but I'm not sure if its universal feature for all of that brands mobos.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

Most motherboards can detect GPU temp, thats why if you download something like HWinfo it will tell you the temperature your gpu is at, even some games Black Ops 4 for instance has a setting to display GPU temp on screen in game, it is actually a software issue, as the software needs to be able to grab those temperatures and allow you to set a fan curve to make Fans plugged into the motherboard that normally can only be controlled by CPU temp or user set constant RPM speed and instead have them make that curve off GPU temp, now a normal Overclocking program like MSI Afterburner can see those temps and change the speed of the fans that are actually on the GPU, but in this case i need to control fans that are connected to a motherboard not the GPU directly, There are 2 programs i know are able to set these curves, CAM from NZXT which requires the use of my NZXT GRID, or Speedfan which takes some time to set up as its not a straightforward proccess, i was trying to find out if any of the motherboard manufacturers have a program for it made for use on their motherboards so i could remove the grid, i posted this in the Motherboard forum as well and was told by a user of the gigabyte board that they know Smart Fan 5 does not but they are unsure of the ASRock board but doubt it, so Im going to say right here that my problem has been solved.