Good mid-High end headphones for gaming $200+

I'm travelling to the USA from UK for 3 weeks due to work and was thinking of picking up the massdrop 6xx or 68x whilst I can (twice the price to get in UK) 

But when I started looking I saw other possible headsets also with a good soundstage etc... Dt 990 Pro etc.. 

These headphones would be used 100% just for gaming as I use my sonos speakers for music. 

I won't get the dt 990 Pro however as a odd requirement I have is they must have a detachable cable 

I already own a fiio e10k amp + dac 

And looking to spend $150-250

Any recommendations or anything to add? 

I've been very happy with my AT MSR7's.

Prior to these, I had a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's. While I liked them, I was overwhelmingly unimpressed with Beyerdynamic's customer support.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

13 minutes ago, Semper said:

I've been very happy with my AT MSR7's.

Prior to these, I had a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's. While I liked them, I was overwhelmingly unimpressed with Beyerdynamic's customer support.

Since most of these headphones are cheaper in the states and I plan to buy over there.. I wouldn't be able to deal with customer support at all anyway... 

But thanks for mentioning the msr7 ill consider them :)

Forgot to add since its gaming and I want a good soundstage and don't mind audio bleed Im looking at open headphones. 

Also considering the akg k7xx 's 

1 minute ago, froodle said:

Forgot to add since its gaming and I want a good soundstage and don't mind audio bleed Im looking at open headphones. 

Also considering the akg k7xx 's 

These are pretty excellent for gaming imo.

10 minutes ago, JabroniBaloney said:

These are pretty excellent for gaming imo.

Looking at threads like 

I'm kind of worried about getting the k7xx since they are  more than the hd68x and people seem to prefer the hd68x despite lower soundstage 

15 minutes ago, froodle said:

Looking at threads like 

I'm kind of worried about getting the k7xx since they are  more than the hd68x and people seem to prefer the hd68x despite lower soundstage 

The wide soundstage on the 7xx make them great if you play games where directional audio is more important. If it's not super important, then the 58x seem like a better headphone. 

Also, I have the 7xx and they made spotting shot locations in games like PUBG much easier. But again, if that's not the most important thing, they're ok. I prefer my Sennheiser HD558s for music.

I like the sound of the 7xx and the better sound stage was definitely good when I was trying them Out but they were so position sensitive like I had to have them perfectly over my ears to get the right imaging.i like the 58x cause they strike a nice balance between music and gaming. They sound great for both while the soundstage isn't the widest the imaging sounded better than the 7xx  but the 990 so far has taken the cake gaming wise for me has a wider soundstage than the 58x and better imaging.

10 minutes ago, rice guru said:

I like the sound of the 7xx and the better sound stage was definitely good when I was trying them Out but they were so position sensitive like I had to have them perfectly over my ears to get the right imaging.i like the 58x cause they strike a nice balance between music and gaming. They sound great for both while the soundstage isn't the widest the imaging sounded better than the 7xx  but the 990 so far has taken the cake gaming wise for me has a wider soundstage than the 58x and better imaging.

It's a shame the dt 990s don't have a detachable cable.. They seem very good price point but without a detectable cable they are useless to me (cable will break with 6 months due to cats etc) 

1 minute ago, froodle said:

It's a shame the dt 990s don't have a detachable cable.. They seem very good price point but without a detectable cable they are useless to me (cable will break with 6 months due to cats etc) 

True . I am planning to get them modded to get a detachable cable but I have had them for over a year and the cable has been holding up perfectly.

1 hour ago, rice guru said:

True . I am planning to get them modded to get a detachable cable but I have had them for over a year and the cable has been holding up perfectly.

The mods I see seem risky with low quality solder or if you don't know how to solder well... I would rather skip it and get a set of headphones that are comparible to the 990s but with detectable cable.. Since 990s are $150 and I'm willing to spend $250 I'd assume there are good other options 

3 minutes ago, froodle said:

The mods I see seem risky with low quality solder or if you don't know how to solder well... I would rather skip it and get a set of headphones that are comparible to the 990s but with detectable cable.. Since 990s are $150 and I'm willing to spend $250 I'd assume there are good other options 

I know people who does micro soldering and lots of soldering jobs who use leaded solder in alot theyre jobs. And we have been talking about this for a while it's just a matter of when I trust them to do these kinds of things for me. It's really not that hard.but yes I do agree if you do t know how to do it don't do it.

5 minutes ago, froodle said:

Not sure how these are from gaming but from what I remember just a little bit of eqing the Fidelio X2 should be great for gaming. Should run around that price point