Programming Faq

majorawsome

Not really. It's not that big of overkill. C++ is the industry standard for games. If you're doing a simple 2D side-scroller, you could do it easily with XNA. And if you're doing a really low-poly 3D game, you could also get away with XNA. But once you go past a small polygon budget, you're looking at having to use C++ in order to squeeze out the performance.

Honestly, I don't think you should be saying that certain languages are used for certain tasks. While there are languages used commonly for certain tasks (C++ for games, for example), the overall goal of a good programmer should be to employ the right language for the right job.

If you read above it says that C++ is usually for heavy games but I added it anyways. You can also do 3D games in Java, that's why it's in there.

For your second point you said that the right language should be used for the right job. What's the difference between certain languages for certain tasks?

I like how this guy thinks!! this is what ive been saying!!

Should've said it clearer :P

Do you want to know what grinds my gears?
The old forum.

You should switch the c/c++ ide to some editor (geany/gedit) + linux terminal (plus gcc/g++) :P

Why not use vim? :)

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

Vim? Explain pls

The old forum.

updated for SDKs, Rip on it

The old forum.

Vim? Explain pls

Vim is a in terminal text editor. Its just like using gedit except its in the terminal it self.

Y not use nano :P lol

Vim is a in terminal text editor. Its just like using gedit except its in the terminal it self.

Does this come in handy? or is it just for geekCred? If it is actually has a nice use I will put it in the FAQ.

The old forum.

Does this come in handy? or is it just for geekCred? If it is actually has a nice use I will put it in the FAQ.

If your doing something like SSHing into a comp (ex raspberry pi) its invaluable, but if not some ppl just prefer it over using a text editor. The two that are mainly used in this category are nano and vim (they do the same thing pretty much). Also i see u put plain text editor and complier for C++ I would also say to put it for C, just a suggestion

If your doing something like SSHing into a comp (ex raspberry pi) its invaluable, but if not some ppl just prefer it over using a text editor. The two that are mainly used in this category are nano and vim (they do the same thing pretty much). Also i see u put plain text editor and complier for C++ I would also say to put it for C, just a suggestion

Can you create a definition for it and tell me where to put it? I'll give you creds :)

The old forum.

I think that wouldn't be as helpful.

So, by depriving the reader of information you believe you're being more helpful? Part of being a true programmer is getting all the information, figuring out what's relevant, and throwing out what's irrelevant. Information on different IDEs for the same language is crucial information. IDEs are based on personal preferences and giving them the widest choice is the best way to be helpful.

Can you create a definition for it and tell me where to put it? I'll give you creds :)

Well its just a text editor you can use from inside the terminal window so instead of having to use a graphical editor such as gedit where it needs to open up its own window you can use vim and nano from the terminal (either inside the GUI or without the GUI enabled). Here's a link to what it looks like (a project that im working on): http://puu.sh/2Kya9.png

So, by depriving the reader of information you believe you're being more helpful? Part of being a true programmer is getting all the information, figuring out what's relevant, and throwing out what's irrelevant. Information on different IDEs for the same language is crucial information. IDEs are based on personal preferences and giving them the widest choice is the best way to be helpful.

It's just a different way of displaying which IDE goes with which language... I didn't think it was that big of a deal but I'll change it....

The old forum.

Helpful thread; pinned. You might want to add DreamWeaver in as an IDE for web development.

It's just a different way of displaying which IDE goes with which language... I didn't think it was that big of a deal but I'll change it....

Its not an IDE lol its like using gedit just in terminal lol

Its not an IDE lol its like using gedit just in terminal lol

The response was to Spartan-S63

The old forum.

The response was to Spartan-S63

wow sorry rly should have read that btr :P my bad

c++ and c also work good with devcpp.

Done.

The old forum.

Thought about adding some SDKs?

I've been busy lately and haven't had time to research. Do you know any?

The old forum.

The android SDK is excellent for mobile programming. Chilliengine is really starterfriendly. I don't use much SDKs prefer writing everything myself.

I believe android apps require java and xml not javascript.

Indeed they do!

That is achieved through some third-party mobile application framework, based on the Apache Cordova platform.

Android's platform is based on a Linux kernel and Java framework and libraries. Also, applications are run on the Dalvik Virtual Machine, a Java Virtual Machine developed by Google specifically for use in memory, CPU and battery constrained devices. Due to the fact that it has a Linux kernel you can use Android's Native Development Kit to allow your application to run code in C or C++ natively (outside the VM) using the Java Native Interface. Take it from the official android developers page (https://developer.android.com/index.html), wikipedia, and someone who is developing an Android app for a college class!

What they (Cordova developers) did was basically create a set of API's that can be used by Javascript to access device functionality. But a quick look at its implementation reveals that it is developed in Java. It was interesting to learn about this framework, though, so thanks for sharing that!

I honestly have no idea why you're being stubborn about changing some of the things on this post. Someone blatantly told you that Android doesn't use Javascript as it's main language, and you point to an article from a website I'm sure many people haven't heard of. On the official Android website (android.com) it clearly tells you that apps are written in Java (as well as a quick Google search) . All of our posts asking you to edit any mistakes out are  only there to help. Your intentions are good, but you could be seriously misleading people with inaccurate information.  I think there is a lot to be improved in this thread, especially if you're going to be pushing people towards it. 

PS: "Normally Android applications are written in Java" - 2nd sentence in paragraph two in the link you posted