NVME to GPU?

Pocketz

Was looking online for a way to stuff a graphics card into my already tiny Asrock A300 barebones and thought...

"What about an NVME to PCIe slot adapter?"

And much to my surprise, they exist. My question is... has anyone tried using one of these? And does it work? And is the performance comparable to a normal GPU setup?

M.2 can only support up to PCIe 3.0 x4, and it'll be through the chipset. Also M.2 doesn't carry enough power to even power a video card that doesn't take additional PCIe power, so you'll need to account for that.

Fortunately there is something that could give you a slight idea of what you'll be dealing with regarding the PCIe lanes: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_PCI_Express_Scaling/

The Asrock 300 has two m.2 ports, one comes from CPU so it's up to pci-e 3.0 x4 (x2 for Athlon 200ge) and one comes from chipset which as far as I know should be pci-e 2.0 but the specs page says pci-e 3.0

I suppose it SHOULD be possible to route the lanes from the m.2 connector to video card, but I'm not sure if there needs to be support in BIOS for something like this.

5 hours ago, Pocketz said:

And much to my surprise, they exist. My question is... has anyone tried using one of these? And does it work? And is the performance comparable to a normal GPU setup?

it does work, there are some video on sli on itx board using m.2 adapter