Folding Causing PC to Crash

A few months ago I started folding during my PC's down time. That quickly lead to folding full time. Doing this during the heat of the summer was a bad idea, my bedroom was sweltering, so I quit. Since then I gave folding another shot. My first comeback attempt was cut short because of random issues (WUs taking three times as long to finish, not getting submitted successfully, etc.).

Now we come to yesterday when I felt again like my computing power was being wasted. I install the F@H client again, set it up with my passkey, and the LTT team number. Everything is going along well for 15 minutes when suddenly my computer crashes. Recover, restart, about 45 minutes later my PC crashes again. I thought maybe it was the overclock on my GPUs, so I reversed the overclock, both GPUs were back to stock settings. Start watching a movie, about 15 minutes later, PC crashes AGAIN. Same cycle, put on the movie, fall asleep, wake up, my PC had crashed at least one more time because XBMC was not running.

I recently transplanted my parts into another case, but have had no problems in the past week since doing so. The only other change I have made, besides getting rid of the overclock on the GPUs, was installing F@H. Is there any reason that could cause F@H to crash my computer? The only thing I have changed since successfully folding for 2 months is the case. Everything else, as far as internals, has remained the same.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Arctic White Windowed | Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe/Dual | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2133 Mhz | GPU: 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB | PSU: OCZ ZX Series 850W 80 Plus Gold | Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO Mouse | Headset: SteelSeries Siberia V2 | Monitor: 3x Dell P2414H

What are the temps?

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

What are the temps?

Temps are right around 80 or 81 F, the MAX allowed stock temp.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Arctic White Windowed | Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe/Dual | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2133 Mhz | GPU: 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB | PSU: OCZ ZX Series 850W 80 Plus Gold | Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO Mouse | Headset: SteelSeries Siberia V2 | Monitor: 3x Dell P2414H

Temps are right around 80 or 81 F, the MAX allowed stock temp.

80f = 26c....are these idle tems?

80f = 26c....are these idle tems?

Whoops. That was 80 to 81c under load. Idle I'm showing 51c for the top GPU, 36c for the bottom. Between 36c and 40c for the CPU cores.

Whoops. That was 80 to 81c under load. Idle I'm showing 51c for the top GPU, 36c for the bottom. Between 36c and 40c for the CPU cores.

ah ok, so the temps are fine. do you get a bluescreen? Or does it just crash?

And did you change any other parts than the case?

ah ok, so the temps are fine. do you get a bluescreen? Or does it just crash?

And did you change any other parts than the case?

I definitely get the BSOD. All peripherals have changed, but like I said, no internals have changed. All I did was spray some compressed air as I moved parts between cases.

I definitely get the BSOD. All peripherals have changed, but like I said, no internals have changed. All I did was spray some compressed air as I moved parts between cases.

wgat error message do you get on the bsod?

I'm not sure. I never paid attention, I just got frustrated. I also quit the F@H client, and haven't had an issue since. Let me fire it up, see how long it takes, and make not the of the error message.

It took about 40 minutes, and I got the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR message in Windows 8.1.

do a windows update and download latest gpu driver.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

do a windows update and download latest gpu driver.

Done and done. I left the F@H client running while I went and grabbed some lunch. Came home to see that my computer had crashed again.

did you added recently any new hardware or usb devices? or installed new software before the system was stable?

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

did you added recently any new hardware or usb devices? or installed new software before the system was stable?

Nope. The ONLY thing I have done is install the F@H client. I have done nothing besides that in the past week. My current case does have 2 less fans than my last case. Could that have something to do with it? I find it hard to believe that would be the problem though.

look @ the temps of all components.

Check your BIOS - this is a bloody common error and is hardware based, because Folding is stressing the hardware. Once fix I know of, in BIOS:

Set the Intel C-State to disabled. Also disabled any power saving in the BIOS.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99