Windows 10 instal

Rrohloff97

I am revamping my build and I am getting two 1tb nvme ssds and am wondering if I can migrate my windows 10 install from my older SATA ssd to my new ones that I’m going to configure in raid 0

Associate your current windows 10 install with your microsoft account by signing in on that OS, then when you go to reinstall windows on your new SSD's, you'll be able to activate it through your microsoft account

Or you could clone

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

hey Rrohloff97

I would recommend backing up your current sata ssd and then re-installing windows on your ssd`s and then copying across the files, if you would like me to send you the files to install windows 10 I would be more than happy to. 

good luck!!

35 minutes ago, Thomas_nerd said:

hey Rrohloff97

I would recommend backing up your current sata ssd and then re-installing windows on your ssd`s and then copying across the files, if you would like me to send you the files to install windows 10 I would be more than happy to. 

good luck!!

Thanks. I don’t get my new ssds in until tomorrow but I’ll give y’all an update when I finish or if I have more questions.

39 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Associate your current windows 10 install with your microsoft account by signing in on that OS, then when you go to reinstall windows on your new SSD's, you'll be able to activate it through your microsoft account

Or you could clone

Thanks. I don’t get my new ssds in until tomorrow but I’ll give y’all an update when I finish or if I have more questions.

I would actually discourage the expense of RAID0-ing two M.2 drives. For a majority of people going from SATA SSD to M.2 actually has minimal visible improvements unless you have a workload that can take advantage of the bandwidth. As it stands now there are single consumer M.2 drives that can hit nearly 40Gbit in a x4 3.0 PCI_e slot.

So you're gaining virtually nothing but increased IOPS at the cost of possibly losing everything on the RAID. Even if you don't keep anything important on the boot drive you're still just not getting much of anything out of it while having to rebuild it when it one day fails.

On 6/10/2019 at 11:46 AM, Windows7ge said:

I would actually discourage the expense of RAID0-ing two M.2 drives. For a majority of people going from SATA SSD to M.2 actually has minimal visible improvements unless you have a workload that can take advantage of the bandwidth. As it stands now there are single consumer M.2 drives that can hit nearly 40Gbit in a x4 3.0 PCI_e slot.

So you're gaining virtually nothing but increased IOPS at the cost of possibly losing everything on the RAID. Even if you don't keep anything important on the boot drive you're still just not getting much of anything out of it while having to rebuild it when it one day fails.

I know that this might seem like a dumb reason for me to be interested in raid but I am more interested in having the two drives combined as one large C drive rather than the speed improvements that theoretically come with a raid setup.

11 minutes ago, Rrohloff97 said:

I know that this might seem like a dumb reason for me to be interested in raid but I am more interested in having the two drives combined as one large C drive rather than the speed improvements that theoretically come with a raid setup.

What did the two drives cost you?

52 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

What did the two drives cost you?

One was free from my brother and the other I got for $50 from Facebook marketplace

9 minutes ago, Rrohloff97 said:

One was free from my brother and the other I got for $50 from Facebook marketplace

Well I guess you've got me beat there.

If you must RAID them do make sure you have a regular backup of everything.

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Well I guess you've got me beat there.

If you must RAID them do make sure you have a regular backup of everything.

Will do. My college offers free windows office 365 cloud storage and I already have my files back up there weekly so that I can access everything from my phone/laptop/tablet Incase I have an assignment due and forgot it at home or didn’t bring my flash drive to print. They also let us keep our account after graduation so that’s pretty cool.

Thanks for your help guys. I ended up having to make a fresh install of windows due to my campus licensing rules but they have me another free license so that was no big deal. I also got all my files moved over so just a few more programs to install and then all is good. Thanks for all the help.