ASUS TUF 504 replacement

Hello there!

So, I bought a TUF 504 with an i7 8750 + 1060, which I thought was a great deal for the price (~900€), but it is giving me some problems performancewise. It performs as expected using benchmarks, which was the first thing that I tried, but in gaming, it gets all over the place. I get great framerate in Battlefield, better than expected, even, but then I try CS:GO and only get arround 70 fps... it is just too unreliable for me.

I contacted the retailer and they said that I could return it without any problem, so that is good. Now, for arround the same price (arround 900€), what would you recommend me to buy? Should I wait a couple of months? I am not in a rush, so it wouldn't kill me to wait for newer hardware for a bit. Another option is just to keep it. I doesn't work as expected, but it is a good enough performer in most cases.

I'd like to be able to get a laptop focused on gaming, so something arround a 1060. It will be my daily driver, but I can make sacrifices (not in the economic side, sadly xD).

Thanks for taking the time, and sorry in advance for my english, since it is not my first language.

That infamous power throttling

Any preference on weight and battery life? Any links of online stores?

tbh getting a 1060 for that budget is very hard

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

8 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

That infamous power throttling

Any preference on weight and battery life? Any links of online stores?

tbh getting a 1060 for that budget is very hard

I don't mind carriying a heavy laptop or having a poor battery if I get good & reliable performance in exchange, and for the stores, I bought it in https://www.pccomponentes.com, a well reputed Spanish retailer, but I could use Amazon or other stuff.

A 1060 for that price is difficult to get, that is why I got the laptop when I saw the deal. It was a mistake, I don't want to rush the next one. Do you think that I could find a better deal if I wait for the summer to be over? Maybe I could get newer hardware since AMD has started pushing so hard in recent times, or a discount for a better laptop maybe?... I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to laptops, so any help would really help.

Thanks for the reply!

It's cheap bcoz it's bad. Cheap can be good too sometimes, but not this model

I don't think there is a decent 1060 model for that budget

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

28 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

It's cheap bcoz it's bad. Cheap can be good too sometimes, but not this model

I don't think there is a decent 1060 model for that budget

What about the Acer predator helios? I have seen it at this price segment, is it any good?

If I wait for the summer, would you go for a 10 or 16 series nvidia gpu? Maybe an amd one?

3 minutes ago, Mqwersly said:

What about the Acer predator helios?

Bad cooling, so so build quality

3 minutes ago, Mqwersly said:

If I wait for the summer, would you go for a 10 or 16 series nvidia gpu? Maybe an amd one?

So far only Asus is doing AMD gaming laptops...but none of them can be classified as 'good'

If you don't mind slightly worse performance, 1650 might be a good choice

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

20 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Bad cooling, so so build quality

So far only Asus is doing AMD gaming laptops...but none of them can be classified as 'good'

If you don't mind slightly worse performance, 1650 might be a good choice

1650 laptops will go down in price, but at this time they are not cheaper. Is it worth getting a 1650 over a 1060? Maybe in the following months as they get rid of the old stock prices in general will go down 

On 6/9/2019 at 6:06 PM, Mqwersly said:

Is it worth getting a 1650 over a 1060?

Of course not worth (20-25% performance difference in general), but personally I wouldn't sacrifice cooling+build quality for better GPU

Desktop specs:

Spoiler