i7 3540m in an i7 640m board?

Go to solution Solved by BigRom,

Chipsets are different, the 3540M uses HM/QM/QS 7x series chipsets while the 640M uses QM/HM/PM 5x series

Also Dell might have their proprietary motherboard that comes with its own set of hurdles, so good luck with that shit cause its a pain in the arse

640M product info page, under compatible products for the chipset

3540M product info page

I saw these chips had compatible sockets and had a crazy idea. I have an old Dell Latitude e6410 with an i7 640m. I saw that the i7 3540m has the same TDP and works in the same socket. I know that this idea is dumb and probably won't work, but I just wanted to verify with bigger brain individuals.

Edit: Should specify, this isn't an "I want to upgrade my laptop because its bad" thing, this is a "I saw this might be possible and I have the means of attempting so"

Chipsets are different, the 3540M uses HM/QM/QS 7x series chipsets while the 640M uses QM/HM/PM 5x series

Also Dell might have their proprietary motherboard that comes with its own set of hurdles, so good luck with that shit cause its a pain in the arse

3540M product info page

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

19 minutes ago, BigRom said:

3540M product info page

Damn, didn't notice the link at first. Well, thanks for alerting me.