Which Linux?

Alright guys, I know there's several different versions on Linux but I have no clue what the differences are in any of them or anything. 

I want to put Linux on my laptop because I've always been curious on it and I think it's time to learn. I use it for just derping around on the internet and that's about it. 

Basically if someone can help me figure out which Linux I should start using and what the differences are that would be great. 

Thanks. 

| CPU: AMD A8 | MOBO: MSI 7778 | GPU: Asus GTX 650Ti | Case: Corsair 200r |

| SSD: PNY 120gb | HHD: WD Blue 1tb | PSU: Cooler Master 750W |

| peripherals: Corsair Vengeance M65 & Razer Black Widow Ultimate |

Ubuntu is nice for beginners, but if you have an extra storage solution, then try LinuxMint.

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

I'd just use ubuntu, i did it with that thing that i can't think the name of where you can choose what OS you boot into

mint

Kali or Arch Linux if you want to jump into the deep end of the pool.

I've been hearing about Arch Linux a lot recently, do you know what's so special about this distribution?

Only absolute idiots would recommend arch to a new user. If your putting it on a laptop, and aren't a power user, Lybuntu is your best bet.

I've been hearing about Arch Linux a lot recently, do you know what's so special about this distribution?

ArchLinux is a rolling release distribution, there is no versions like ubuntu, when something is marked as stable it gets pushed to the main repositories, including the kernel. I should be seeing the latest kernel (3.13) any day now.

Rolling release has the advantage of being able to stay at the bleeding edge of all software and supporting users is easier as theres no one running 'older' versions of stuff.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

Thanks for the imput guys. I installed Ubuntu, and I'm currently browsing around it, trying to get the feel for things.

| CPU: AMD A8 | MOBO: MSI 7778 | GPU: Asus GTX 650Ti | Case: Corsair 200r |

| SSD: PNY 120gb | HHD: WD Blue 1tb | PSU: Cooler Master 750W |

| peripherals: Corsair Vengeance M65 & Razer Black Widow Ultimate |

Kali or Arch Linux if you want to jump into the deep end of the pool.

Or integrate Kali/Backtrack features into any distribution by adding the repository. Blackarch on Arch linux for instance. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2