Is an acoustic shield a method of soundproofing?

ConstantCanadian

I'm a streamer.  However, I'm busy during the days and during the night my 3 family members are sleeping. So I was looking into a way to stop sound from leaving my room. I tried hanging thick blankets on the walls (they werent thick enough) then a came across an acoustic shield. would an acoustic shield stop noise from leaving my room?

If you're talking about microphone booths, not really. Those shields are made to damp reflections, not to block sound. Waves are supposed to pass through the foam; the backing is usually made of mesh or vented so that sound is not blocked by the chassis. What blocks out most of the external noise in an anecholic chamber is the near-seamless thick outer wall; the foam is there to minimize internal reflections.

The radiant intensity of your voice is constant, and even a theoretically perfect shield can only absorb along the solid angle it subtends in front of you. Physics says you're looking at, at best, about 3dB improvement – which you're probably not going to get in your setup, because properly using one of those requires you to practically bury your head in the booth.

Unfortunately there's not much you can practically do in a typical room besides mass load the walls and doors (hanging thick blankets), and cut off low impedance paths (plug airflow cracks in room and beneath door, block window).