2600K 50C in bios?!

Okay so I'm using a first gen Swiftech H240X (280 rad) and simply hooked a PSU up from outside the case to test. It was initially getting 60C until I threw some non PWM case fans (my static pressure 140's aren't here yet) on my previously naked rad and they dropped to 50C. I don't have Windows installed yet so bios temp is all I can check. Block installation is perfectly fine but maybe I did a trash thermal paste job. It wouldn't be unlike me to build lazy but it's never hurt me before.

What are the chances I'm annoyed over nothing and everything will be fine in real world use? I mean the bios is still like double the load vs a true Windows idle so maybe 50C will be about as high as I ever see, eh.

Oh and my mobo is a Z68 FTW...none of that second rate MSI garbage. What kind of reject wants a motherboard with dragons on it lawl lawl lawl?

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

50°C is not normal.  My own i5-2500 is hovering at 35-36°C in its BIOS with a 21°C ambient temperature, on an air cooler.

Either there's an issue with the pump or you have royally F-ed up your thermal paste application.  Try feeling the tubes on either side of the pump.  If one is hot and the other is cold, RIP pump. 

Try overheating the entire PC to the point where the CPU's retention bracket, the heatpipes and some of the chokes turn blue and purple.  See if that Z68 FTW can survive that, then we'll talk about MSI's quality.  ?

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/416761-how-to-cook-a-motherboard/

yeah either bad paste or coolers on its way out, i have a 9900k that sits at 29idle in bios with a h150i id expect at least for you 35-37 max 

CPU: i9 9900k @5.1ghz | GPU: Asus Strix 2080Ti OC | Cpu Cooler : Corsair H150i (360mm) | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Pro Z390F  | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32gb 3600Mhz CL16  | Boot / OS SSD : Samsung 970 Evo 500gb M.2 / Samsung 850 Evo 500Gb SSD / 1TB SEAGATE HDD Case: Corsair Obsidian 500d SE RGB | PSU: Evga SuperNova Platinum 8 

11 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

50°C is not normal.  My own i5-2500 is hovering at 35-36°C in its BIOS with a 21°C ambient temperature, on an air cooler.

Either there's an issue with the pump or you have royally F-ed up your thermal paste application.  Try feeling the tubes on either side of the pump.  If one is hot and the other is cold, RIP pump. 

Try overheating the entire PC to the point where the CPU's retention bracket, the heatpipes and some of the chokes turn blue and purple.  See if that Z68 FTW can survive that, then we'll talk about MSI's quality.  ?

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/416761-how-to-cook-a-motherboard/

Lol I just replaced the pump about a month ago and this is it's first you. I assure you it's the thermal paste if my temps are indeed too high lol.

Well and my backplate is missing two of the sticky pads but I doubt that would actually make a difference.

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

It depends on the motherboard.  On most motherboards, when you are idle in the bios, none of the low power C states are being used so power consumption and idle temps will be higher compared to when you are idle in Windows.  I would wait until you get Windows installed before worrying too much.

Completely different CPU, but Ryzen sits at much higher BIOS temps than Windows idle temps.  Close to 50*C. 

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case