GPU audio output settings?

tinpanalley

My Radeon R9 280 has HDMI audio out. I want to set it so that the card sends out 5.1. The problem is, what I'm trying to do is pass the 5.1 HDMI audio through the TV and out to the receiver via optical because my receiver has no HDMI. My Rpi2 and game consoles can all do this. Is my GPU only going to see the 2-channel audio of the TV no matter what?

52 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:

My Radeon R9 280 has HDMI audio out. I want to set it so that the card sends out 5.1. The problem is, what I'm trying to do is pass the 5.1 HDMI audio through the TV and out to the receiver via optical because my receiver has no HDMI. My Rpi2 and game consoles can all do this. Is my GPU only going to see the 2-channel audio of the TV no matter what?

You'll need to set the audio output to 5.1 and the gpu as the default audio output device, also make sure the content being played is 5.1

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

13 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

You'll need to set the audio output to 5.1 and the gpu as the default audio output device, also make sure the content being played is 5.1

Yeah, I don't get a 5.1 output option. Unless I have to launch the game first, then ALT-TAB out to the desktop THEN switch the output to 5.1? I have a feeling the problem here is that the GPU only sees the TV as the output device which is naturally only 2.0 and that that's why it won't let me set to 5.1.

1 minute ago, tinpanalley said:

Yeah, I don't get a 5.1 output option. Unless I have to launch the game first, then ALT-TAB out to the desktop THEN switch the output to 5.1? I have a feeling the problem here is that the GPU only sees the TV as the output device which is naturally only 2.0 and that that's why it won't let me set to 5.1.

If your cpu has an iGpu and your motherboard has a hdmi out you could try that just to see if it is the gpu

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

7 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

If your cpu has an iGpu and your motherboard has a hdmi out you could try that just to see if it is the gpu

No, it doesn't. But then I wouldn't be using my GPU.

Ok, never mind, I guess it just can't be done without getting new equipment.