Installing windows 7 on nvme ssd Asus Rog Strix x370?

zFox

I recently bought  a wd black SN 750 500gb nvme drive and installed it on my asus rog strix x370-f motherboard.  I turned on the computer went into boot menu and the drive was there. I proceeded to boot to a windows 7 usb flash drive but the drive didn't appear in the drive options or advanced options.  In my original Windows 7 os I wasn't able to find or initialize the drive as well.

Would someone be kind to help me instal windows 7 onto this ssd?

I have also tried booting the flash drive in eufi mode but it gives me some kind of error.

@zFox Ryzen Processors don't support Windows 7, they don't have the necessary drivers or updates. You can still get Windows 7 to work but USB 3.0 isn't supported among many other issues. Also Windows 7 is a legacy OS if your motherboard and chipset don't have legacy support it won't work, not even an install usb or disc. You'll need to install Windows 10 in UEFI mode.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

16 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

@zFox Ryzen Processors don't support Windows 7, they don't have the necessary drivers or updates. You can still get Windows 7 to work but USB 3.0 isn't supported among many other issues. Also Windows 7 is a legacy OS if your motherboard and chipset don't have legacy support it won't work, not even an install usb or disc. You'll need to install Windows 10 in UEFI mode.

Hi,  my motherboard manufacturer provided a tool to bypass the usb not working issues and I was able to use it to instal windows 7 on a Samsung 840 sata ssd and it is working fine,  I am trying to use that same usb drive to install on the nvme drive. 

Can you help me understand why the nvme drive does not appear in the Windows drive manager at all?  Do I have to change some settings in bios?

Also is it a must to boot a flash drive in uefi mode if you want to install Windows 7 on a nvme ssd?

7 minutes ago, zFox said:

Hi,  my motherboard manufacturer provided a tool to bypass the usb not working issues and I was able to use it to instal windows 7 on a Samsung 840 sata ssd and it is working fine,  I am trying to use that same usb drive to install on the nvme drive. 

Can you help me understand why the nvme drive does not appear in the Windows drive manager at all?  Do I have to change some settings in bios?

Also is it a must to boot a flash drive in uefi mode if you want to install Windows 7 on a nvme ssd?

Make sure the m.2 slot is compatible with Nvme drives and isn't a sata m.2 slot, also make sure Nvme drives and boot from Nvme is enabled in bios.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Your boot media needs an NVMe driver to see your NVMe drive. Windows 7 doesn’t have a native NVMe driver. Put and use Samsung’s NVMe driver 

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

2 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Make sure the m.2 slot is compatible with Nvme drives and isn't a sata m.2 slot, also make sure Nvme drives and boot from Nvme is enabled in bios.

I was able to finally Instal Windows 7 by using the Asus EZ Installer utility and selecting the option to insert the nvme drivers into the Windows 7 usb.

Although I still don't think I can view this ssd from my original Windows 7 because I don't think western digital provides an actual driver I can download and install,  they only have a dashboard,  but it's no use to install drivers when it doesn't find a western digital nvme drive in the first place.

14 minutes ago, SSD Sean said:

Your boot media needs an NVMe driver to see your NVMe drive. Windows 7 doesn’t have a native NVMe driver. Put and use Samsung’s NVMe driver 

I was able to finally Instal Windows 7 by using the Asus EZ Installer utility and selecting the option to insert the nvme drivers into the Windows 7 usb.

Although I still don't think I can view this ssd from my original Windows 7 because I don't think western digital provides an actual driver I can download and install,  they only have a dashboard,  but it's no use to install drivers when it doesn't find a western digital nvme drive in the first place.