Cpu barely doing something

I have an Intel I5-8500, I got it like 4 months ago, it was performing well, I had high performances in games.

Last week I broke my ssd by accidentally hitting the cable and unplugging it, I installed windows again and everything was fine, except for
my cpu: when I'm extracting files from a .zip it uses 50% of the cpu, while my friend also extracted that file and used 20% of his cpu (I7-6700).
Does anyone know what's going on?

MSI B360 Gaming Pro Carbon

Intel Core I5-8400

G.Skill Aegis F4-2666 16GB

MSI RTX 2060 Ventus

Corsair TX650M

Crucial MX500 500GB

Sharkoon TG4

If I were you, I would run some benchmarks to get an idea of what part of your system is the culprit here.

Cinebench for a CPU benchmark and CyrstalDiskMark for the SSD.

Compare scores to what other people get.

In Cinebench R15 an i5 8500 should get around 900cb.

Your SSD... Well it depends on what SSD you have :D

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I have a Crucial MX500, should be reading 560mb/s and writing 510mb/s, reads 521mb/s and writes 479mb/s.

The cpu should (as you say) get a score around the 900 and has a score of 822. Edit: (I stopped all programs and it now has a score of 855 with 2 relative slow cores).

Intel Core I5-8400

MSI RTX 2060 Ventus

Corsair TX650M

Crucial MX500 500GB

Sharkoon TG4

26 minutes ago, Minibois said:

If I were you, I would run some benchmarks to get an idea of what part of your system is the culprit here.

Cinebench for a CPU benchmark and CyrstalDiskMark for the SSD.

Compare scores to what other people get.

In Cinebench R15 an i5 8500 should get around 900cb.

Your SSD... Well it depends on what SSD you have :D

Can you still download R15? I remember only being able to download R20 on their website. If I have time later I can run R20 on my 8400 to get a gauge on how many cb OP should be getting(100MHz difference between 8400 and 8500 so shouldn't be too different in scores)

EDIT: nvm OP already has R15

18 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

Can you still download R15? I remember only being able to download R20 on their website. If I have time later I can run R20 on my 8400 to get a gauge on how many cb OP should be getting(100MHz difference between 8400 and 8500 so shouldn't be too different in scores)

EDIT: nvm OP already has R15

Just for future reference, you can download R15 here: https://www.guru3d.com/files_details/cinebench_15_download.html

Link from gotten from here: 

19 minutes ago, davideras2004 said:

I have a Crucial MX500, should be reading 560mb/s and writing 510mb/s, reads 521mb/s and writes 479mb/s.

The cpu should (as you say) get a score around the 900 and has a score of 822. Edit: (I stopped all programs and it now has a score of 855 with 2 relative slow cores).

Your SSD is probably used by some things in the background though.

The CPU is hard to judge, because you have people booting into safemode with a customized Windows loadout also competing against others, so it's sometimes hard to gauge what you should get. Plus memory frequency and timings can also play a role in CPU score.

But anyways, what exactly are you asking here?

my cpu: when I'm extracting files from a .zip it uses 50% of the cpu, while my friend also extracted that file and used 20% of his cpu (I7-6700).
Does anyone know what's going on?

Are you talking about relative performance.. Or are you talking about how you find it's weird the CPU is only at 50%?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I find it weird that it is a lot higher than his cpu percentage, the cpu fan became loud and I sometimes experience lagspikes in games I didn't use to.

The question is: Does anyone know what's going on with my cpu

Intel Core I5-8400

MSI RTX 2060 Ventus

Corsair TX650M

Crucial MX500 500GB

Sharkoon TG4