Using my PC exhast fan to generate electricity?

LuckyAsFox
Go to solution Solved by boey,
11 minutes ago, LuckyAsFox said:

Crazy idea but is it possible to generate electricity just like wind turbines? Only the air would be from the exhaust fan of a PC. Am I in the wrong section to for these types of posts? Lol

I mean if you completely sealed off your case(so no air escapes through any gap besides the exhaust fan) and have several intake fans, and an unpowered exhaust fan (which would spin slightly due to air pressure) it could generate some electricity, but the electricity generated would be a tiny fraction of what's used to power the intake fans.

Crazy idea but is it possible to generate electricity just like wind turbines? Only the air would be from the exhaust fan of a PC. Am I in the wrong section to for these types of posts? Lol

6 minutes ago, LuckyAsFox said:

Crazy idea but is it possible to generate electricity just like wind turbines? Only the air would be from the exhaust fan of a PC. 

Technically yes, but the amount of power you'd generate would be in microwatts -- not even enough to power an LED.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

11 minutes ago, LuckyAsFox said:

I mean if you completely sealed off your case(so no air escapes through any gap besides the exhaust fan) and have several intake fans, and an unpowered exhaust fan (which would spin slightly due to air pressure) it could generate some electricity, but the electricity generated would be a tiny fraction of what's used to power the intake fans.

21 hours ago, James Evens said:

Yes you are in the wrong section. Over unity isn't discussed on this forum.

21 hours ago, _d0nut said:

21 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Technically yes, but the amount of power you'd generate would be in microwatts -- not even enough to power an LED.

Alright, thanks guys!

Using fans made for PC cooling? There are two major issues. First is bearings used and friction. As cooling fans are made to be powered, they don't have natural spin. Meaning that fan is made to resist spinning caused by outside source. Just try to spin fan by hand and you understand. Second is shape of blades. If you compare blades on wind turbines to airplane to cooling, you notice that shapes are very different. Cooling fan blades are shaped for most air movement for less noise. While wind turbine blades are quite opposite, more spinning for less wind speed.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv