HELP! Being prompted for BitLocker Key after Firmware update

Vishvas Sudarshan

So the firmware on my laptop just updated, and now I'm unable to boot into Windows, 

I'm being asked for a BitLocker Key, which I don't have.

I'm seriously in need of help, please!

BitLocker was enabled on your system, and a key was generated on your device.

When you updated your UEFI, the key got removed, and now you need to enter it again.

We can't help you, as the data on your drive is fully encrypted. There is no workaround. Your data is lost if you don't have the recovery key.

If you use a Microsoft linked account, then it has your recovery stored on Microsoft servers.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=237614

Also, in the future, please post in the correct forum section.

- Thread Moved -

4 minutes ago, IgorM said:

does your windows have a digital key?

I signed in with a Microsoft account after buying the Laptop, so it should be linked?

1 minute ago, Vishvas Sudarshan said:

I signed in with a Microsoft account after buying the Laptop, so it should be linked?

Yes, same thing happened to me before. Go to this link and it will work fine

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

This is one of those classic cases I've been tons of times. Best practice is to ALWAYS 100% of the time disable bitlocker (either by suspending it or turning it off completely) before doing any type of update that impacts that BIOS, UEFI, chipset, etc. It's even potential that it will mess up with regular driver updates to (though extremely unlikely). I've even seen computers that forget their own bitlocker key without doing updates or flashing the BIOS. 

As stated by GoodBytes, log into your Microsoft linked account if you have one, otherwise you will need to find another way to locate the key or you're really screwed and will lose everything. Bitlocker is very strong encryption and even data recovery experts would be helpless without that key.

Why did you have your computer bitlocked without having the key stored somewhere you can access it?

1 minute ago, dDave64 said:

Why did you have your computer bitlocked without having the key stored somewhere you can access it?

Some laptop manufactures like Dell for example ship them already enabled. He just need to get the key from microsoft and he will be fine

17 minutes ago, IgorM said:

Some laptop manufactures like Dell for example ship them already enabled. He just need to get the key from microsoft and he will be fine

I've never seen that. I've dealt with hundreds of brand new laptops from Dell for both business and personal use and I've never seen it. Is this a recent thing? Do they only do it to certain models? I don't doubt what you're saying, I'm just trying to figure out how/if I missed that.

5 hours ago, dDave64 said:

I've never seen that. I've dealt with hundreds of brand new laptops from Dell for both business and personal use and I've never seen it. Is this a recent thing? Do they only do it to certain models? I don't doubt what you're saying, I'm just trying to figure out how/if I missed that.

That happened with my laptop I bought about a year and a half ago here in Brazil, it's a Dell 2 in 1 7000 series. Maybe it's a thing on some products or some regions.