HTPC Stuttering

Go to solution Solved by RadiatingLight,

That CPU seems more than capable, especially with an SSD.

My two thoughts are that either the OS is extremely bloated (if you haven't done a clean install, I'd do that first), or that it might be trying to GPU-accelerate video playback, and is ending up using a terrible/weak GPU which is bottlenecking the CPU.

I'd clean install if you haven't done that already, and then try to take out the GPU and see what happens.

So I have created a HTPC from an old work PC and am getting stuttering during video and music playback.  System monitor shows a random spikes to 20% on 1 core.

CPU: Intel 4790

MB: Generic Dell

PSU: 290W generic

GPU: Some random

SSD + HDD: Samsung 830 + WD Green

Kind of stumped, any ideas?

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

That CPU seems more than capable, especially with an SSD.

My two thoughts are that either the OS is extremely bloated (if you haven't done a clean install, I'd do that first), or that it might be trying to GPU-accelerate video playback, and is ending up using a terrible/weak GPU which is bottlenecking the CPU.

I'd clean install if you haven't done that already, and then try to take out the GPU and see what happens.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4