Fanless cards

So, I was building a sff PC for my brother, and he asked for the minimum noise, I was thinking to buy a fanless card. For the system I was thinking about a non k i5, and 32 gigs of ram. The budget is around 400 dollars, any suggestion is welcome, even a system change.

PC:

Spoiler

I9-9900k @4,8Ghz (1.131V), 32 gigs G.Skill (2*16) @3Ghzz390 Maximum XI Formula, Kraken x62, 2080ti Matrix @1.9Ghz, 970 evo 256 gigs860 evo 500 gigs, 2tb hdd Seagate, CXM750WH500

HTPCs:

Spoiler

Razer Blade 14 (2015)(I broke the keyboard)

Lenovo Ideapad 100-15idb (the screen was broken)

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo Yogabook x91f

Lenovo Thinkpad T480 

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Monitor - MSI Optix MAG241C

Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

Keyboard - Corsair K70 MK.2

Headphones - Corsair Void Pro

There is a Palit Kalmx 1050Ti iirc. btw 32 gigs is overkill for what you are doing there

what is he looking to do?

also you could just go for a silent case. going fanless just makes you suceptible to coil wine

10 minutes ago, Silent93x said:

For the system I was thinking about a non k i5,

keep in mind that this with the stock cooler will be the single loudest component in ther entire build 

13 minutes ago, Silent93x said:

So, I was building a sff PC for my brother, and he asked for the minimum noise, I was thinking to buy a fanless card. For the system I was thinking about a non k i5, and 32 gigs of ram. The budget is around 400 dollars, any suggestion is welcome, even a system change.

What is it that your brother does or wants to do? 32gbs of ram except for people running heavy virtualization or rendering is just way, way overkill.

Fanless cards may be quiet, but often the temps are really a very solid point to avoid. A relatively low power card like you would get at the 400$ budget, with anything but the worst cooler will already be far quieter than most cpu coolers and casefans alone given the fact modern cards only spin up once they reach temp.

A relatively quiet case, + a decent cpu cooler + a low power card and + good casefans will make for just as quiet a system as any fanless card to the non-maniacal.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

keep in mind that this with the stock cooler will be the single loudest component in ther entire build 

Yeah I forgot to mention that I got a noctua cooler

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

what is he looking to do?

also you could just go for a silent case. going fanless just makes you suceptible to coil wine

He is mainly animating, btw I was thinking about using a node 202 that I got for 30 bucks

12 minutes ago, ZeouLs said:

There is a Palit Kalmx 1050Ti iirc. btw 32 gigs is overkill for what you are doing there

Yeah maybe I'll take that one, but I'd like to get something like a 1060. Idk about overkill, he saturated 16 gigs multiple times

PC:

Spoiler

I9-9900k @4,8Ghz (1.131V), 32 gigs G.Skill (2*16) @3Ghzz390 Maximum XI Formula, Kraken x62, 2080ti Matrix @1.9Ghz, 970 evo 256 gigs860 evo 500 gigs, 2tb hdd Seagate, CXM750WH500

HTPCs:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo Yogabook x91f

Lenovo Thinkpad T480 

Peripherals:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Silent93x said:

He is mainly animating, btw I was thinking about using a node 202 that I got for 30 bucks

not sure any fanless design will fit inside a 2 slot node 202 case.......

3 minutes ago, Atmos said:

What is it that your brother does or wants to do? 32gbs of ram except for people running heavy virtualization or rendering is just way, way overkill.

Fanless cards may be quiet, but often the temps are really a very solid point to avoid. A relatively low power card like you would get at the 400$ budget, with anything but the worst cooler will already be far quieter than most cpu coolers and casefans alone given the fact modern cards only spin up once they reach temp.

A relatively quiet case, + a decent cpu cooler + a low power card and + good casefans will make for just as quiet a system as any fanless card to the non-maniacal.

What kind of cards you suggest, the most heavy application that he uses are blender and photoshop

PC:

Spoiler

HTPCs:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo Yogabook x91f

Lenovo Thinkpad T480 

Peripherals:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Silent93x said:

eah maybe I'll take that one, but I'd like to get something like a 1060

I dont think there is an oem one but you could mod something together. The issue with cards like 1060 and higher is thermals.

Just now, Silent93x said:

Yeah I forgot to mention that I got a noctua cooler

Yeah maybe I'll take that one, but I'd like to get something like a 1060. Idk about overkill, he saturated 16 gigs multiple times

Noctua cooler, anything but their absolutely minimal cooler will be quiet as heck.

Animating... makes sense now.

I really... REALLY... wouldn't recommend a fanless card then. If hes going to be putting any kind of load on it, just go with pretty much any non-blower style cooler 1060. They'll be plenty quiet for what hes doing.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Don't... If this computer is actually being used for real work, don't mess around.

Get a real (yeah, I said it) GPU, a relatively silent case and a pair of headphones.

Back in the days of GTX 970, Asus had a 0db fan mode. Is that still around?

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

1 hour ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

Don't... If this computer is actually being used for real work, don't mess around.

Get a real (yeah, I said it) GPU, a relatively silent case and a pair of headphones.

Back in the days of GTX 970, Asus had a 0db fan mode. Is that still around?

1 hour ago, Atmos said:

Noctua cooler, anything but their absolutely minimal cooler will be quiet as heck.

Animating... makes sense now.

I really... REALLY... wouldn't recommend a fanless card then. If hes going to be putting any kind of load on it, just go with pretty much any non-blower style cooler 1060. They'll be plenty quiet for what hes doing.

Ok, the point is that his old 780ti when saturated get really loud with some thermal throttling from time to time, but I think that's more of a cooler problem since that is a reference card. I'm thinking about a 1080 mini. Yeah I went for noctua coolers since my fans are really quiet. 

PC:

Spoiler

HTPCs:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo Yogabook x91f

Lenovo Thinkpad T480 

Peripherals:

Spoiler

20 hours ago, Silent93x said:

Ok, the point is that his old 780ti when saturated get really loud with some thermal throttling from time to time, but I think that's more of a cooler problem since that is a reference card. I'm thinking about a 1080 mini. Yeah I went for noctua coolers since my fans are really quiet. 

Reference cards are garbage. They may run at fine temps, but wind them up and they get plain loud. My 1080 with a rather good cooler, under 100% utilization never becomes audible beyond the sound of air coming in and out of the case.