Roku vs Chromecast

Mr_Argon

Hello all. I am going to get a streaming device to stream mainly Netflix (maybe Lightbox as well, it's a New Zealand rip-off of Netflix I think). Would a Roku Express or a Chromecast be better? The Chromecast is $9 cheaper when I factor in shipping costs.

Note: I have a 1080p TV

Depends on your preference.  The Roku is completely independent so IMO easier to use (although I've only used the Streaming Stick+), Chromecast requires you to use your phone which I personally find more fiddly.

I believe the Roku has better app support, although I had issues getting it to connect 5Ghz on any channel other than 36 so I ended up jumping to an nVidia ShieldTV.  Not an issue on the one you're talking about as I think it only supports 2.4Ghz anyway.

Personally I ended up going for the nVidia ShieldTV as I had issues with Chromecast and Roku.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

7 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Depends on your preference.  The Roku is completely independent so IMO easier to use (although I've only used the Streaming Stick+), Chromecast requires you to use your phone which I personally find more fiddly.

I believe the Roku has better app support, although I had issues getting it to connect 5Ghz on any channel other than 36 so I ended up jumping to an nVidia ShieldTV.  Not an issue on the one you're talking about as I think it only supports 2.4Ghz anyway.

Personally I ended up going for the nVidia ShieldTV as I had issues with Chromecast and Roku.

Agree mostly. I don't really like Chromecast in general because you need to use a phone to interact with it. I highly prefer just picking up a remote, and browsing through the on screen menu. Roku does support casting (to various degrees of success), so it's not like you lose that feature anyway.

I have a Roku 4K (the "basic" version) and it works well. My only complaint is that it lacks a few apps (It only just got Amazon Prime recently, and it still lacks the CraveTV (Canadian Netflix) App).

However, if it has the apps you want to use already, then I'd definitely choose a Roku over a Chromecast.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Roku is a company that specializes in streaming.  I would choose them simply for their agnostic approach to streaming services.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

• 4 weeks later...

Roku is amazing. You can download all the network apps and use a friends DirectTV login and boom get all of the channels. Or you can pay for DirectTV, PSTV, Fubio, HULU Live TV and list goes on.