Underclocking using Max/Min processor state

Hello Guys,

I got my HP pavilion Gaming 15 cx0056wm, with i5-8300h, the processor is alright but when I start a game it heats up a lot. now I tried both Intel XTU & Throttle Stop apps to under-volt & Underclock my CPU and at first it was fine

later on things started to get weird, power state for the CPU would stock at undervolting/Underclocking stats and I didn't like the unstability of the situation so I reverted everything to stock

now I tried to reduce the Maximum power state in Power-plan advanced settings and it worked but with one thing wrong... my CPU usually boosts up-to 3.9 GHz, and I just wan't it to boost to about 3.3 GHz

so i tried removing about 15% of the CPU maximum power state => 85% is the new value, and I noticed that when I applied the setting the CPU stops Turbo at all.. even at 99% it gets to 99% of the stock speed (~2.2GHz) and no turbo is available

so is it normal like that? is there any solution for this ? 

Thanks.

So there's no way to control the CPU state & turbo using the windows tools, for such settings I should use 3ed party software... right ? 

1 hour ago, AmeerF said:

So there's no way to control the CPU state & turbo using the windows tools, for such settings I should use 3ed party software... right ?

I don't know what you mean by "CPU state", but turbo boost settings have to be done through a third party tool if it's not accessible in BIOS.

1 hour ago, AmeerF said:

so is it normal like that? is there any solution for this ? 

Not sure if it's normal can't test right now, but try messing with the minimum power state and increase it, keep a power plan specifically for gaming and stuff

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

The only software that can handle this correctly is ThrottleStop.  Open up the FIVR window and adjust the Turbo Ratio Limits lower.  That is what controls the maximum CPU speed.  If you need to control the minimum CPU speed, open the TPL window, enable Speed Shift and increase the Speed Shift Min value.  Best to uninstall XTU or do not use XTU and ThrottleStop at the same time.

The Windows Minimum processor state completely disables turbo boost and is not what you want to be doing.  Post some pics of ThrottleStop if you need help setting it up correctly.