i7-8700K w/B360 chipset

Go to solution Solved by ManosMax13,
1 minute ago, TheBlue217 said:

What is the main/biggest difference between the z390 and the z370 boards?

From what i know the z390 boards are newer and designed for the 9th gen intel processors but the 8th gen will fit as well its the same socket.Except from being a bit better in a lot of stuff (like vrm cooling)because they are newer there isnt really a big difference.Also forgot to mention that the motherboard lacks rgb.Thats why i recommend that you go with asus,they have quality mobos with rgb,but msi is good too but you need to spend a bit more for rgb.

Yes I'm aware of it, i goofed.

I noticed the goof too late, so that was unfortunate.

Now, new motherboard.

I'd like some help with choosing a new motherboard. 

My preferals are;

Size: ATX (no extended ATX)

Brand; MSI

Extra's; MSI Mystic Lightning

Compatibel with i7-8700K (lga1151)(and to overclock it)

Upgradeability

No expensive over the top crap.

I'm tempted to spend more for better looks.

ik there is a filter for this on the site of MSI, but I dont want to goof again on some other detail.

So what do you recommend me? Which board or which chipset or other things, just so i can make my options list shorter.

4 minutes ago, TheBlue217 said:

Yes I'm aware of it, i goofed.

I noticed the goof too late, so that was unfortunate.

Now, new motherboard.

I'd like some help with choosing a new motherboard. 

My preferals are;

Size: ATX (no extended ATX)

Brand; MSI

Extra's; MSI Mystic Lightning

Compatibel with i7-8700K (lga1151)(and to overclock it)

Upgradeability

No expensive over the top crap.

I'm tempted to spend more for better looks.

ik there is a filter for this on the site of MSI, but I dont want to goof again on some other detail.

So what do you recommend me? Which board or which chipset or other things, just so i can make my options list shorter.

Why do you want msi?

3 minutes ago, ManosMax13 said:

Why do you want msi?

Always had msi, like it, love it, and the msi Mystic light on which i have based my setup

2 minutes ago, TheBlue217 said:

Always had msi, like it, love it, and the msi Mystic light on which i have based my setup

Also the link is to a european site sorry but you get the point.

2 minutes ago, ManosMax13 said:

Also the link is to a european site sorry but you get the point.

I'm dutch, its ok

6 minutes ago, ManosMax13 said:

Also if you want to overclock cpu or ram you need a z370 or a z390 chipset so that MSI Z390-A Pro would be a good choise

2 minutes ago, TheBlue217 said:

9th gen support, better VRMs.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

From what i know the z390 boards are newer and designed for the 9th gen intel processors but the 8th gen will fit as well its the same socket.Except from being a bit better in a lot of stuff (like vrm cooling)because they are newer there isnt really a big difference.Also forgot to mention that the motherboard lacks rgb.Thats why i recommend that you go with asus,they have quality mobos with rgb,but msi is good too but you need to spend a bit more for rgb.

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

9th gen support, better VRMs.

I think the z370 supports 9th gen with a bios update.Same with amd i have a ryzen 5 2600x with a b360 board,everything worked after a bios update.

2 minutes ago, ManosMax13 said:

I think the z370 supports 9th gen with a bios update.Same with amd i have a ryzen 5 2600x with a b360 board,everything worked after a bios update.

On the site of MSI all Z370 are listed as gen 9 compatible, so yes.

8 minutes ago, ManosMax13 said:

Btw... What is VRM?

3 minutes ago, ManosMax13 said:

Yeah z370 supports 9th gen with a bios update, so if you were to buy a z370 board and a 9th gen processor it wouldn't work until you used an 8th gen processor to update the bios to the newest version. It's a big hassle and most people don't have an 8th gen intel CPU just laying around. The Z390 boards are built for 9th gen but also have 8th gen support. As you said better VRMs and VRM cooling for better overclocking and such.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Btw... What is VRM?

Voltage Regulator Module, regulates the voltage being fed to the CPU.

4 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Voltage Regulator Module, regulates the voltage being fed to the CPU.

Ty

7 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Yeah z370 supports 9th gen with a bios update, so if you were to buy a z370 board and a 9th gen processor it wouldn't work until you used an 8th gen processor to update the bios to the newest version. It's a big hassle and most people don't have an 8th gen intel CPU just laying around. The Z390 boards are built for 9th gen but also have 8th gen support. As you said better VRMs and VRM cooling for better overclocking and such.

I just payed 20 dollars and a proffesional in a store who had a first gen ryzen updated the bios in my b360 mobo so i can put in my ryzen 5 2600x.

35 minutes ago, ManosMax13 said:

I just payed 20 dollars and a proffesional in a store who had a first gen ryzen updated the bios in my b360 mobo so i can put in my ryzen 5 2600x.

Yeah some shops do that, just have to call and ask if they do. But for the people that don't have the option to take it into a shop or have an 8th gen or 1st gen Ryzen CPU it's always better to buy a board you know will work with it out of the box.