Help me choose a processor

I am going to be building a computer that is mainly for video production (everything from 10 minute shorts to feature length films) but I would also like to play games on it. Is there a good processor I could get that handles both well?

I'm currently looking at either a i9 9900k or a ryzen threadripper 2990WX

Price point isn't really that big of an issue because I'm saving up money to build it. 

The grafics card I'm looking at is an rtx 2080.

I'm new to building computers so I also need to know if an Nvidia based card will work on an AMD machine.

9900k for adobe suite.

2950x for everything else.

Or the best option would be to wait 10 days for computex and for Zen 2 to hit the market. 

Computex is just announcement of new cpus, but it does not mean it's going to be available for purchase.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

14 minutes ago, APWProductions said:

Thank you for providing all of this. It's very helpful. 

You're welcome. Actually, Puget lists the Threadripper 2990WX as being superior, but I think that was prior to Quick Sync. With everybody moving to Intel, I think I would too. Gaming will be better on the Intel chip too.

Just make sure you get a good board (Any of the Gigabyte Aorus Z390 for example) if going with the 9900K and a good cooler (BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4/Noctua D15 or 280mm/360mm AIO etc).

1 hour ago, Bearmann said:

You're welcome. Actually, Puget lists the Threadripper 2990WX as being superior, but I think that was prior to Quick Sync. With everybody moving to Intel, I think I would too. Gaming will be better on the Intel chip too.

I don't think that is correct. Quick Sync support was in Premiere CC 2018, the latest Puget Systems benchmarks used Premiere CC 2019.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

56 minutes ago, brob said:

I don't think that is correct. Quick Sync support was in Premiere CC 2018, the latest Puget Systems benchmarks used Premiere CC 2019.

You may be right. I am not sure why they make no mention of it, as many of the youtubers find it quite helpful-enough even to sway their decision toward Intel.

On 5/20/2019 at 5:35 PM, GoldenLag said:

9900k for adobe suite.

2950x for everything else.

Or the best option would be to wait 10 days for computex and for Zen 2 to hit the market. 

I'm gonna hold off until the 9900KS becomes available. Unless they also announce something better. Do you think Intel's new CPUs will also be affected by the same problems (zombieload and the others) that their current CPUs are affected by?

6 hours ago, APWProductions said:

I'm gonna hold off until the 9900KS becomes available. Unless they also announce something better. Do you think Intel's new CPUs will also be affected by the same problems (zombieload and the others) that their current CPUs are affected by?

If you are doing Adobe suite things. Then the KS is useless......... It doesnt do anything better than the K variant. 

3 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

If you are doing Adobe suite things. Then the KS is useless......... It doesnt do anything better than the K variant. 

Oh. I figured the higher clock speed would be better. I actually just watched the AMD keynote and am gonna hold of for a while and wait for all the new CPUs to be tested out. Then do a comparison then. 

4 minutes ago, APWProductions said:

Oh. I figured the higher clock speed would be better.

its not the clockspeed that makes the 9900k good. its the iGPU and the fact adobe uses quicksync. 

something all the coffeelake CPUs have. so you could also just get a 8700k