4k playback issues

Go to solution Solved by WickedStarfish,
35 minutes ago, The clueless enthusiast said:

Hi all

I'm having an issue with playing back a 4k mkv file (using vlc player) on my pc. I have 2 pcs 

1. A 3570k with a 980ti, 8gb ram 

2. Fx 8350 with a 1080ti,  8gb ram

I know these are similar cpu in terms of generation and release date and I've always though the 3570k comes rated as the superior of the two but what I can't understand is why the 3570k build nearly dies playing the 4k file (chugs at a few fps if that) whilst the fx runs fine?

The 3570k is connected to my 4k tv and is most used as a htpc/vr build. Whilst the fx is my main gaming build in a different room.

Is there a reason for this bizarre behaviour? I put it down to the low core count of my 3570k (thought maybe it couldnt churn through the data quick enough or something) and so didn't expect the fx do do better but it runs fine.

Any ideas how to get it running on the 3570k system?

have you tried using Media Player Classic – Home Cinema, as i had some troubles playing large files on my 4670 and it had no problems whereas VLC had many

Hi all

I'm having an issue with playing back a 4k mkv file (using vlc player) on my pc. I have 2 pcs 

I know these are similar cpu in terms of generation and release date and I've always though the 3570k comes rated as the superior of the two but what I can't understand is why the 3570k build nearly dies playing the 4k file (chugs at a few fps if that) whilst the fx runs fine?

The 3570k is connected to my 4k tv and is most used as a htpc/vr build. Whilst the fx is my main gaming build in a different room.

I should add that the 3570k shoots to 100% usage whilst the fx sits around 10%.

Is there a reason for this bizarre behaviour? I put it down to the low core count of my 3570k (thought maybe it couldnt churn through the data quick enough or something) and so didn't expect the fx do do better but it runs fine.

35 minutes ago, The clueless enthusiast said:

Hi all

have you tried using Media Player Classic – Home Cinema, as i had some troubles playing large files on my 4670 and it had no problems whereas VLC had many

could be as simple as not using a proper hdmi cable for the 4k on the 3570k :P i had stutter n issues aswell with a cheap cable, swapped it out and all was ok, other then that it can be software such as using different media player / codecs

(◑‿◐)

@The clueless enthusiast

Make sure to enable Direct3D11 Video Acceleration in VLC.

Open VLC then press "CTRL + P" to open Tool Settings.

Then on top navigate to Input/Codecs and change the Hadware Accelerated Decoding to Direct3D11 Video Acceleration and restart the application for it to take effect.

This will offload most if not all of the video decode from CPU to the GPU and it should play without issues.

If you dont have this option here, you are using a very old version of VLC players. Get the new VLC 3 player then.

This is the CPU and GPU usage of playing 4k Avatar with Direct3D11 Video Acceleration enabled:

image.thumb.png.085bfff7595af2b8e10242a9ff0201a0.png

This is when its disabled... all the load is on the CPU now:

image.thumb.png.29c3fe32148600dc6ec6e50e66c7b792.png

1 hour ago, WickedStarfish said:

Thanks for that suggestion it worked perfectly!

2 minutes ago, The clueless enthusiast said:

Thanks for that suggestion it worked perfectly!

anytime, I don't know what it is, but when i have errors in VLC i use that other video player (its my backup player)

Glad i could help :)

13 minutes ago, WereCat said:

@The clueless enthusiast

Make sure to enable Direct3D11 Video Acceleration in VLC.

Open VLC then press "CTRL + P" to open Tool Settings.

Then on top navigate to Input/Codecs and change the Hadware Accelerated Decoding to Direct3D11 Video Acceleration and restart the application for it to take effect.

This will offload most if not all of the video decode from CPU to the GPU and it should play without issues.

If you dont have this option here, you are using a very old version of VLC players. Get the new VLC 3 player then.

This is the CPU and GPU usage of playing 4k Avatar with Direct3D11 Video Acceleration enabled:

image.thumb.png.085bfff7595af2b8e10242a9ff0201a0.png

This is when its disabled... all the load is on the CPU now:

image.thumb.png.29c3fe32148600dc6ec6e50e66c7b792.png

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried it and it works much better but it's still dropping too many frames (and the cpu is still maxed out) very strange but the mpc hc worked fine